South Fork Trail

South Fork Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near McAdenville, NC that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

a little stinky at first

Pretty out and back trail follows river through interesting forest land with history and easy accessibility from either end.

All around great experience

Nice trail

Perfect walk w fam and river exploration

Awesome trail

The trail can be accessed from either end. The end this post directs you to is easiest to navigate to using the address 300 Dickson Rd, McAdenville, NC 28101. This takes to to Dickson road which dead ends at the trail head. The other end is a neighborhood culdesac 1100 Catawba Run Lowell, NC 28098.

Trail at Dickson starts directly under the highway and could use a Good Samaritan to pick up garbage. It's a dirt packed trail wide enough for two most of the time.

I'd consider it a local jem, great for fishing and adventuring on the many rocky trails in the Catawba river. Once you leave the highway you're surrounded by lush greenery and rushing water. Lovely easy 4 ish mile out and back

Great trail with no big elevation changes. You can see the South Fork River almost the entire time.

Easy to follow trail. I do this one all the time.

Flat trail that runs along the river for great views the entire length of the trail.

It was a little hard to find but once I found it and got past the petroleum pipeline it was quite pretty. When I was walking in there the river was quite engorged with floodwaters so it was quite muddy. Overall my impression of the walk was quite good. I would have rated it five stars except that the petroleum pipeline was a little offputting for me. At the very end I found a very interesting oil fountain of some kind. A curious yet odd thing to be sure but not something I would normally associate with hiking. That said I would still recommend this trail.

Odd trail at first when you walk under I-85, but then improves quickly as the highway sounds fade to nothing and are replaced with nature. The trail is very easy to walk and very convenient.

Easy, level hike along the river. Was well maintained and clearly marked throughout.

Great trail. I have never seen so many turtles in my life.

Clean trails, and an easy hike.

Very nice trail! Easy to get to. Take I-85 exit 23, head toward McAdenville. Turn left onto Dickinson Rd and follow to end. Nice parking area. Trail can get muddy in spots, but overall very enjoyable trail. Ends in an housing development. Can keep walking another 2 miles to George Poston Park for an round-trip of 8-9 miles. Depends on how serious of hiking you want to do.