Roan Mountain Trail

Roan Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bakersville, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November.

Strenuous but not overly bad I went to the end of the CloudLand Trail and the view is amazing

One of my all-time favorite hiking spots...from the Three Balds, Roan High Knob, the Cloudland Hotel site, the Rhododendron Gardens to Roan High Bluff. It is such a special and unique place. I have hiked it in all seasons and many different weather conditions. I have witnessed both an amazing sunrise and sunset here. I have seen the world's largest natural Rhododendron area in full bloom. I was very lucky to see a couple clusters of the very rare Gray's Lilly blooming at the Cloudland site. I had a large black bear run across the trail right in front of me on top of Grassy Ridge Bald (on an unusually warm December morning with nobody else nearby). I have struck up many wonderful conversations here (with first-time hikers and AT thru hikers). And I have brought family and friends to let them experience some of these same joys and the incredible views. What a wonderful place!

Great hike, don't trust the directions on this app though. The actual trail is located off Roan Rd, not 226 as indicated by the app.

good hike

Breath taking mountain views basically the entire hike. Lots of fun!

Super awesome, literally feels like your in a fairy tale, lord of the rings, but different. Pretty windy up there, no coverage as far as trees go. Any time of the year will bring a wonderful view! Hike the Grassy Ridge Bald section if you can, its pretty long and it technically is a combination of three peaks but as far as the terrains features go suggest otherwise. Have fun!

Easy and rewarding

When I went it was October and extremely foggy other than that it was a fun hike!

I had a wonderful hike today heading north on th AT. The scenery was incredible and the weather was perfect. I consider the trail to be moderate, but nothing technical or difficult.

This trail is great, beautiful views and a nice hike, even my 4 year old loved it. We tried to go when the Rhododendron were in bloom, but missed it by a few weeks. You will definitely not be the only ones there, but I still found it very enjoyable. It is totally exposed, don't forget sunscreen.

This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite places that I've ever been! It's so gorgeous and picturesque, and the hike isn't too difficult. The natural balds make for an easy 360 degree view, and it's a great mix of going up and down at a steady pace. FYI: remember that it's always at least 10 degrees colder up there than say, Johnson City. If you get the chance, GO! We also always take our 3 dogs, who are 2 miniature Dachshunds and a Blue Heeler mix.

We even took our big telescope up there to view the super moon over the summer, but fog moved in right after the sunset, and we couldn't see 5 feet in front of us. It was a fun adventure to get back down! Thank goodness for cell phone flashlights!

This is not the Roan Mountain Trail that I am aware of. It looks like the dot on the map is off in Erwin area. Roan Mountain has its own address roan Mountain Tn. I will post that hike.

Beautiful easy hike, you get to see all the surroundings. Absolutely incredible