Pink Beds Trail

Pink Beds Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, NC that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Nice, relatively flat hike along stream bed, Numerous clearings. From the Pink Beds Parking lot, take the trail east. The start of the trail is clearly marked and the route is easy to follow by the orange markings on trees along the way. The trail criss-crosses the stream frequently on well maintained foot bridges. The 4.5 mile trek is relatively flat and numerous clearings are encountered for wildlife viewing.

Easy hiking trail. Watch out for bears ;).

Very nice trail through forests and meadows. You can see beaver dams on this trail.

Nothing special in particular but a flat trail, good length, great for a hike with a dog

Beautiful hike, with lots to see. Great day hike.

What an outstanding trail in WNC!!!
The trail has very little elevation change considering the overall length.
I would guess 65% of the trail is shaded - which really helps on an August hike
We only passed a dozen hikers (and that accounts for the 4 legged trekkers too.)

Colors were great even in late summer - both plants and insects.

Good easy 5 mile hike.

Great taste of hiking in WNC for out-of-towners. Almost no elevation gain. Lots of marshes with beaver work (and a boardwalk that improves at each visit), and lots of rhododendron and mountain laurel jungle. Beautiful part of PNF.

My husband and I hiked it today. There was a huge storm earlier which made it mushy in places. Really interesting to be in a very wet, silent forest. Loved it. Pretty much as described. It's easy, long, could be obstacles. The marking were clear. I recommend it.

First off, the loop is 6.5 miles long. Second, don't trust gps for directions. The trail head is at the pink beds picnic area! Not down the gravel forest service road!
It's a nice easy hike. Brought my dog. He navigated all the bridges just fine. Parts of the trail were flooded. But nothing so bad you'd soak your feet. Bring bug spray! Mosquitos everywhere. I went very early (7am) and avoided the crowds. A nice hike despite not being very exciting.

A very flat and easy hike. Not much in the way of views. The path crosses over several creeks.

Great trail for a long, but easy walk.

We hiked Pink Beds yesterday and had high hopes of seeing the Rhododendron in bloom but unfortunately the bloom had already come and gone. There was, however, plenty of Mountain Laurel. We were also taken back by all of the ferns!
The hike itself is relatively flat. The difficulty lies in the length which is listed as about 5 miles. I am confident that is a wrong statement, it is easily 6-6 1/2 miles.The trail is in good shape but I would certainly reccomend wearing hiking boots because of the wetness and the roots that you will encounter along the trail. There were lots of nice new bridges and wooden walkways, the trail is blazed orange and is fairly well marked..there are two or three places where you can make a wrong turn so be alert and aware of where you are headed. It is also possible to cut the length in half by taking a different trail that cuts across the center just take the blue blazed trail after you have gone about a mile.

Very pleasant hike through the forest. We hoped to see the flowers in bloom, but were to early in the season. Also very nice picnic area.

Good trail. My daughter Ms. Awesome loves it.

Was so pretty easy enough for the whole family. The bridges and walkways over the water are fantastic.

The problem with Pink Beds is the fact that the beavers keep damming up the streams and flooding the trails. I've done the trail several times -- never the same trail twice because of this.

The longer loop is about 5 miles or so. It's not hard at all -- it's the easiest trail in Pisgah Forest that I've discovered. Finding the trailhead can be an issue. Park in the Pink Beds parking lot (by far the largest parking lot in the area) and as you're facing the picnic area, there is what appears to be a road on the left side of the lower lot (furthest from the road), guarded with a metal gate. It used to be marked with a wooden sign, but the last time I was there, it was all wood and no sign. In any event, go around the gate. It's a trail/road that leads shortly to the carbonite signs marking the loop. Left or right doesn't matter, though the left route might be less muddy/affected by beavers.

In wet weather, you might get your feet muddy. I turned back one time because a guy with a little dog went ahead of me and the dog ended up quite literally stuck in the mud up to his chest. With no way to bushwhack around it.

Another time, I was on the homeward leg, and turned a corner to discover a LARGE rattlesnake sunning itself by lying all the way across the trail. After a couple of minutes, the snake decided to move along...I very carefully went past where it went into the trail...and it was curled up not a foot away from the trail. If I hadn't known it was there, I never would have seen it. I reported him to the rangers, who basically said "yep...that's their home."

All in all, though, it's a very family friendly hike. Go for it! Spring wildflowers are awesome.

The trail is beautiful, but horribly marked. My friend and I decided to give it a try on a weekend drive through Pisgah Forest looking for a good place to hike. We'd never hiked there before, but when we arrived at the main parking lot we noticed the map at the entrance of the trail was faded in such a way that any mile markers or distance information was completely nonexistent. We were able to see the loop layout on the map and assumed (foolishly, apparently) it would be one or two miles - boy were we wrong! Not only was all distance information gone there at the trailhead, but NONE of the trail marker posts along the way said absolutely ANYTHING about distance. We started the trail walking for awhile through some very beautiful marshy areas with well made boardwalks and footbridges over creeks and swampy areas (and, oddly, what must have been the older bridges had been left just sort of jutting out of the water a few feet away from the new path). After 70 minutes or so, well into the forest trail, we started to wonder how much longer we had to go - in part because it had just started to rain, although we weren't yet getting much of it yet thanks to the dense forest leaves above our heads. After awhile we met a couple country type men carrying fishing poles coming from the other direction, and I asked them if we were about to the parking area, assuming we would get a yes. To my shock and horror one of them said we had about 2 and a half more hours to go, unless we turned back and took another trail that intersected with the one we were on, which they called a shortcut that would make it about another hour and a half. This was really F%$#& bad news considering the rain by this point was picking up steadily to the point our clothes were getting wet even when under the thick leaf canopy... We thanked the men and kept walking, talking over whether we should take their word for it and turn back to take the other turn, turn back and go home the way we went, or just keep going and hope that they were wrong (they did keep alternating between saying we had 2.5 MILES to go and 2.5 HOURS to go, so we weren't quite sure which was true, if either...). Considering we weren't quite sure which turn off they meant and which way on it to go, and as two females were a little reluctant to walk with these two men - the only people we had seen on the trail for quite some time - who seemed nice but still were strangers - we opted to just keep going the way we were headed. This damn trail seemed to go on forever, and as pretty as it was in parts with big fields of ferns and open meadows of grass and wildflowers, it's really hard to enjoy nature no matter how beautiful when you're completely soaking wet - as we quickly became when the shower turned into a complete downpour (not in the forecast, btw), and you have absolutely no idea when or if you will ever make it back. The trail markers were so incredibly unhelpful, even when we finally came to one at a trail intersection about 1.5 hours later that said "parking lot" (YAY THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!) it gave no info about distance and didn't make it very clear which of the intersecting trails was the one to take. My friend and I disputed it for awhile and decided we should just stay the same way we had been going, which eventually led us there, but only after what felt like an unbelievably long time considering how long we'd already walked. All in all it was just such a miserable and slightly terrifying experience that the pleasantness of the trail itself was completely eclipsed, which would never have happened if the map at the trailhead or trail posts along the way had distance info. I was really surprised to see afterwards that this trail is said to be only 4.5 miles long, because it definitely seemed much longer, and considering it took us a little over 3 hours to walk it at a steady and fairly brisk pace (you don't dally in a downpour) I'm a bit skeptical. This could be a really nice hike if you know what you're in for, but for the complete lack of warning for those that don't, I have to rate it pretty low.