Pilot Mountain Trail

Pilot Mountain Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is far from a moderate hike. Maybe I am a little biased because Pilot is part of the Art Loeb and we hit this portion as the later part of while hiking the AL... But this was you know what on my knees. I'm not a wuss, but this is definitely not moderate. I bring my 5 yo on moderate to difficult hikes all the time... I would not bring my 5 yo to this one

I love this hike. Just keep on climbing. Amazing 360-degree views of PNF from the top, including Looking Glass Rock, Mt. Hardy, Mt. Pisgah, and the Balsams. Easy to pick up some speed going down he back from the summit to Deep Gap. Like another reviewer said, the forest service road back is a little boring, but it didn't take anything away from the whole.

Parked at 475 and climbed first portion on Art Loeb. Then took the road to reconnect with Art Loeb for the decent. The Art Loeb portions of the trail are beautiful and a lot of fun but the road is pretty dull. There is a great clearing about half way through the loop that has excellent views off both sides of the ridge line. Nice place to stop for lunch.

Pilot - This trail is super techy (not for beginners).....rocks and boulders everywhere, mean and narrow switchbacks with drops into big rock gardens. This trail has some fast areas but most of the downhill run will be a bit slow due to the amount of rocks, boulders and rock gardens in your path. Pads are strongly suggested for this run..maybe even a full-face helmet (suggested but not needed). Be carefull of the switchbacks on this trail some of then come up on you quick, they're usually narrow and right on a ledge that will drop you off of the side of the mountain.