Panthertown Loop Hike

Panthertown Loop Hike is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glenville, NC and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Granite rock outcrops, beautiful falls, also known as the Yosemite of the East. Follow the old roadbed from the trailhead to Salt Rock Gap (a small opening on your left) for good views of Little and Big Green Mtns. Continue down the old roadbed and stay left until you come to a 4-way trail junction. Go right. After crossing the bridge over Panthertown Creek, look for a trail to your right. Follow this trail for 0.1 miles to Granny Burrell falls. Return back to the main trail and continue east (right). Follow the most heavily traveled trail and veer right at the intersection at the bottom of Little Green Mtn. Look for a trail to the left ascending Little Green Mtn at approximately 2.2 miles. Climb to the summit of Little Green and follow the arrows around the rock dome. Ascend the trail on the East side of the summit to Schoolhouse Falls. Follow the trail back to the old roadbed and stay left until you return to the 4-way junction described above. Stay straight and ascend the trail back to the parking lot.

Easy to get lost

There are so many trails in this park, it's easy to get turned around and lost. Take a trail map with you. The views are spectacular. Well worth visiting.

Great hike! The end was hard-all uphill after a 4+ mile loop. Will do again.

Not as pretty as some other ones...very narrow in some parts

Nice hike, great area. Blazes could be a little better marked on some of the smaller side trails, But all in all, great workout for me and my dog.

Very nice hike. You definitely have to put trails together to make a nice long loop, as long or short as you like.

This is a good hike, giving some challenges and a good workout. If you want to swim, there is a swimming area near the waterfall. Some of the signage could be better. Many of the blazes are 10 - 15 feet into the trail and are hard to find when you are looking for the trail. Some people have placed arrows on the rocks, but finding where the trail foes off the rocks is sometimes hard. I will do this hike again.

I've done the Panthertown loop a half dozen or so times now as well as many of the side paths and it's my favorite area in western North Carolina to hike. Most recently my wife, small dog, and child in a jogging stroller made this loop. The stroller had big wheels and we made it actually pretty good the entire way. It does get slightly steep at parts, but is an easy trail for the most part. Get the Panthertown map, it's definitely worth it. Good selection of waterfalls both on and off the beaten path. It gets busy in the summer.

Was a nice hike, busier than I had hoped but beautiful.

Big park! Get a map of all the trails. Went to two waterfalls and hiked about 7 miles today. Most trails are wide but get narrow at points. I think some trails could be marked a little better. I would definitely go back to see more of the waterfalls!

Hiked this trail for my second time today. I must admit that this trail is as beautiful this time as it was my first time. I highly recommend this trail.

Great trail! Just remember that in the description, the first right at the 4-way junction is called Mac's Gap. Don't get confused and continue on the Pantertown Valley trail (although if you do you can take a left at the other end of Mac's Gap to make the loop, but you'll just miss a lot). I had my dog and he had a blast, plenty of water options for him. He didn't even want the water I brought for him, he preferred the water options there! Views weren't quite as great as some of the other hikes in the area, but the trail and distance options are wonderful. And we saw a black bear up ahead on our way back which made it totally worth it.

Do not do ifyou are a tourist if you are you shouldnt even be in that area.

Great hike, beautiful scenery even in March! We would love to go back in the summer to swim at Granny Burrell falls. Be careful of ice in the springtime on any northfacing wet surface. Additionally, when at the top of Little Green mountain look for spray painted arrows to get you down off the top. We got lost for a bit looking for the exit trail to continue the loop.

Beautiful area, did a day hike with the family, the terrain is really easy and it is pretty secluded except for the people working on the trails. Right alongside a small creek with a few small falls which were fun to play in nothing more. compared to my usual hiking it was a good break with great views just way too easy for my tastes.. waay to short...

really nice way to spend the day real nice red dot trails