Old Mitchell Trail

Old Mitchell Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, NC that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

2 mile trail between the State Park Office and the Mt. Mitchell summit.

Challenging and rewarding. beautiful forrest pine smells along the way, changing landscapes, with the most amazing viewpoint at the top. Stunning!

Came out to summit Mount Mitchell, wanted to try the longer, 6 mile trail, but opted to test myself on the shorter, Old Mitchell Trail, and it did not disappoint. The altitude gave me a great workout, the trail itself was technical, but I had a blast. It made making it to the summit all the more worth it. Love this trail, and I'm planning to hit it again when I come back to do the 6 mile Mount Mitchell Trail next time.

Great hike. Very tough at the top but worth it. There are some great trails on the way down for some amazing lookouts as well. Mt Mitchell is a great spot!

Why drive to the summit when you can take a relatively short but strenuous trail from the park entrance/headquarters? Much more satisfying!

I first hiked down then backed up on this Old Michell Traill. I enjoyed this strenuous and beautiful hike. This trail was relatively short which also is a plus.

We hiked up Old Mitchell Trail on August 27. The hike from the bottom, at the Park HQ, started off pretty easy, but grew in difficulty as we ascended toward the peak. The trail has beautiful mix of trees and rocky terrain which at times resembled a scene from a fairy tale. To say the hike is strenuous is accurate. By the time I reached the top I was exhausted, but I can't wait to hike it again.

The Old Mitchell trail has a lot of inclines and declines and is moderately difficult. We left out early in the AM and the overnight rain made the footing slippery at times but still manageable. We did make a mistake of returning on the Camp Alice and Commissary Trails. Stay on the Old Mitchell trail. The walk in the woods is better than the walk on a gravel road.

This trail is not for the faint of heart. Although there are some fairly easy sections most of it is strenuous. At least it is fairly short, as trails go. The trek to the top is harder than the trek down.

Great, short trail! Excellent if you want to hike but don't have a lot of time. By the time the pain sets in, you're almost to the summit.

A strenuous and beautiful hike. Quite rocky and rooted pretty much the whole way up. The last stretch is quite steep. Wonderful pay off with gorgeous views. The summit is heavily trafficked by people that drive up, but the trail is not as busy.

Very beautiful hike! many things to explore beside the trail. very beautiful views!!!

awesome hike with great views. went early in the day and had the park to myself which was a huge plus. Coming up towards the top I lost the trail a little when you merge with the MST. Everything worked out fine though. while at the summit I recommend doing the Balsam nature trail. make pretend your up north somewhere.

Definitely one of the best trails I've been on. It is actually 4 miles and you'll feel every bit of it. The trail requires a little bit of climbing and gets very technical in some places. The forest is gorgeous and the view at the top can't be beat. this is a must do if you are in the area. There were major road closings which required a long detour to get to the trailhead from Asheville. Check the Parkway before you go.

One of my favorite trails so far. Went on it with my father who was huffing and puffing the entire way. Loved how rocky and steep it was it was just the challenge my father and I needed! Absolutely fantastic views of the mountains around us and being above the clouds was amazing, we couldn't stop taking pictures once we reached the summit.

Great hike with many views along the way. Was a long 2 miles; enjoyed all of them.

Fun but a little more than moderate.

A very nice short hike. Still a little technical and fun though.

One of the best short hikes I've done. I was wary because it follows and is quite close to the road at times, but only rarely. The alpine forest is beautiful, there are exciting sections moving over rugged tangles of boulders and tree roots, and the views are spectacular, even in the summer. Also, when I was there, the clouds were low, moving just over the top of the ridge that the trail follows. Hard to believe you're in North Carolina.