New River State Park Campground

DIFFICULTY 5 reviews

New River State Park Campground is located near Jefferson, NC. The trail is primarily used for camping and is accessible year-round.

This is part of the US 221 Access section of the NC New River State Park. I started out on the River Run trail from the parking lot on the southern edge of the park. The first eight tenths of a mile of the 1.4 mile trail is mostly flat, and has pretty views as it follows close to the river. Near the end, the trail moves further away and includes a few small switchbacks as it heads up in elevation. I completed a nice 2.1 mile loop by taking the Hickory Trail back.

good to hike a mile or two without having to go to blowing rock or the parkway

Very nice and clean campground. Sites were much larger than typical sites at other campgrounds. Bathhouse was clean and accessible. We went on a very relaxing kayaking trip on the New River.

fly fishing

I use the campground as a base for my kayak fishing trips. Always clean

A very nice campground for sure. I have been here for many years, often on Labor Day. I often camp in the drive-to electric section. Nice kindling available, and fire ring. Great visitor center and trails. The river is nice for kyacking, canoeing, or tubing.