Mountain Trail

Mountain Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pinnacle, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A mostly wooded trail with some pretty views and elevation change as it heads about 3/4 of the way around Pilot Mountain. It connects with the Grindstone Trail to complete a nice loop.

Great trail for running. Rarely ever Muddy even after a lot of rain.

Pilot Mountain State Park, Mountain Trail is a well maintained trail that in my opinion should be rated as moderate and not strenuous because even though you are climbing in elevation, the incline trek up the mountain seems easier than expected because of the consistent climb. However, maybe they deemed this trail strenuous because you need to watch your steps around and over the rocks. I was hoping to be able to view the top of Pilot Mountain and at times I thought I might be able to but I was disappointed to find out that tree limbs were always in the way, maybe they will cut some limbs in spots so hikers will have better views up and down the mountain. I loved the large rock formations throughout this trail, some of these rock formations were really cool and one of them my wife and I were actually able to joke that we saw an upstairs, downstairs, deck, kitchen etc. (lol)… Any way this is a very rocky trail that allows distant views into the forest viewing rocks of all sizes. Happy hiking!!!

love this trail. Can't wait to go back in a few weeks. Great day trip.

A very nice trail that gives you a good workout as it circles Pilot Mountain. You can also add a three mile round trip detour to the summit where the Mountain Trail connects to the Grindstone Trail.