Mount Mitchell Trail

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 11.4 mile out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for birding, hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

Definitely will test your strength so wouldn't suggest this as your first hiking experience but the whole hike is filled with great views. Coming down you have to be careful with all the roots and rock it can be very easy to injure a foot or leg and to trip and fall

Nice workout but the trail is predominately roots and rocks. That wouldn't be too bad but, in October, leaves are covering the trail so it's tough to tell what you're stepping on in many areas. Going up is not bad because a lot of your weight is still on the downhill foot but coming down is tricky as your weight is on the landing foot which tried to roll numerous times. 2 hr 50 min to go up and 2:20 coming down. Snow flurries at the top were cool. Would like to try it at a different time of year.

Awesome hike! Will definitely go again as soon as we get a chance. Good hiking boots/shoes and at least 2 liters of water are highly recommended. It took my 13 yr old son and myself (33) a little over 4 hours to reach the top. We didn't hike down because met my wife and 2 younger kids at the top. We are all fairly avid hikers going at least twice a month normally 6+ miles each hike. This was definitely the most strenuous hike we have done yet, and we can't wait to do it again.

I really enjoyed this hike, but it does not give too many views till the very top. The overlooks you get are diluted with electrical wires. In the woods is beautiful, it made me feel like I was in the jungle a couple times. Took my group about 3.5 hours to get to the top. We only hiked up.
The incline was steady and almost continuous, but never overwhelming.

Woo! What a hike Mt. Mitchell is. Quite strenuous. Took 4 hours to get to the summit, 3 hours to get down. Went early September, ~65-70 degrees, partly cloudy. Went with my boyfriend, we are both 26 and in decent shape (4-5 mile runs a couple times a week) What to expect: the hike up is almost entirely incline (moderate/hard) small-medium rocks, roots, not much of a view going up. Definitely wear good hiking boots (to say my feet were killing me at the end is fairly large understatement) and a hydropack (2+ L). There is a snack/bev stand at the top, open on Sundays. The views at the top were incredible! Had a great time. Well worth it, but not too sure if I will do it again anytime soon.f

Great trail - hiked on Sept. 3 in beautiful weather. Was quite strenuous, took 5 hours up and 4 hours down.

Beautiful trail, camped out at Comissary Ridge with a couple of friends and hiked to the summit. Had an awesome time!

Proud to say my wife, my 10 year old son and I completed the up and back in about 8 hours which included about an hour at the summit. One of my toughest likes ever. The length and steepness combined with tough footing made for kind of a miserable day. The constant rocks and tree roots showed me an uncomfortable hike. I have $300 Salewa hiking boots and both my feet were bruises on the bottom.
The peak provided beautiful views but that's really the only place that did. If you want to accomplish the highest peak in the east, then by all means do this hike. If you are looking for rewarding views, then drive to he summit and choose another hike. Glad I did it, but probably won't do it again.

The views are awesome. I'll start with that. The hike itself isn't the most scenic. There are few outcroppings that you'll get a chance to sneak a picture in here or there. You'll traverse through a few different conditions/terrain. I went at 8am from the bottom (campground) to the summit via Old mitchell trail. It took 3 hours and 42 minutes to climb up and about 3 hours to get down. I tweaked my ankle coming down which slowed me slightly. This hike is strenuous. Some hikes are labeled strenuous or difficult but aren't too bad- this is not the case. I had gone after a rain storm the night before so it was slick and muddy. The footing is tricky regardless of the weather. You will be hiking over roots and rocks 75% of the time. You'll catch a break for a couple half miles at a time but expect uneven and rugged terrain mostly. For this reason I recommend hiking boots for sure. On other hikes I wear tennis shoes often- I'm glad I didn't attempt this one. I didn't use walking poles but again, If you have them I would recommend using them. It is steep and you'll be going up at a decent clip. I'm in decent shape. I hike weekly and do cardio almost daily. So I'm fairly active . I'd suggest you be in ok shape to attempt this. The elevation, rough terrain and altitude will affect anyone and if you're not used to a decent amount of activity this might be tough. The weather is cooler up there. I took a jacket but within 1 mile took it off because the exertion was enough to keep me warm. Once at the top you'll be rewarded with a beautiful view of the surrounding areas. Rest up because now comes the descent. It's downhill and easier in that sense but again the footing is tedious and you'll have to slow your pace to ensure you don't get tripped up. There are those few straight away areas where you can really move though. It's closer to a 12 mile hike than 10.9 as is stated here. By the end you'll be happy to see the camp. It's a wonderful hike and one that will make you feel proud so Go do it!

Overall a pretty good trail. Very few views until you reach the summit, and even then you're not guaranteed a clear day. I was in the clouds and saw nothing at the summit on 7.18.2016.
Took my dog and I 4 hours from Black Mountain to the summit and 3 back down.
**Anyone with knee problems, Beware of the descent!!! It is killer on the knees

Fun hike - took us 2.5 hours up, and just about 2 hours down. Hung out at the summit and ate lunch next to all the folks who drove up. Gave us a sense of accomplishment. It's never super steep, and looks like there's some killer campsites along the way. Take Higgins bald at least one way to change it up.

Tough climb up. About 3 1/2 hrs up. Pretty easy down; about 2 1/2 hrs.

It was challenging, but the scenery isn't very good until you summit.

It was good. Not Colorado

Great hike. I would rate it slightly easier than Mt. Le Conte in the same mountain range. Went in the beginning of June. A lot of bugs and flies buzzing around but no bites. There's a store at the top.

Great day hike. Amazing views from the top. The hike up was a steady climb, coming down was a little painful. We took the Higgins Bald trail on the way up. Nothing spectacular but glad we did it. The views at the top far outweigh any feelings of resentment for those who drove up there...

i hiked from the campground up and down with 20 a pound backpack for training. It was a great hike and the views from the top are phenomenal.

I'm in decent shape this was my first hike up and back down. it was a challenge with a 15 pound backpack but worth it. not much views other than the summit but still amazing.

Amazing trail. We did the blue trail round trip and it was fun and challenging at the same time. It really test your endurance and would recommend to anyone who likes hiking. You want to plan to start early around 9 am if you are planning to do the round trip.

I have driven 4 hours (from Atlanta) just to hike this magical, fun trail 5 times since Nov. 2014. The stunning, panoramic view is best served after a piping hot dish of moderate/difficult hiking! Wouldn't dare drive to the top unless I had to. There are additional trails near parking lot. Hiking to Big Tom is an absolute must if you want a view from a rocky ridgeline and a bit more climbing than Mount Mitchell offers. Have fun, be safe!