Mount Mitchell Trail

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 11.4 mile out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for birding, hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

The views are awesome. I'll start with that. The hike itself isn't the most scenic. There are few outcroppings that you'll get a chance to sneak a picture in here or there. You'll traverse through a few different conditions/terrain. I went at 8am from the bottom (campground) to the summit via Old mitchell trail. It took 3 hours and 42 minutes to climb up and about 3 hours to get down. I tweaked my ankle coming down which slowed me slightly. This hike is strenuous. Some hikes are labeled strenuous or difficult but aren't too bad- this is not the case. I had gone after a rain storm the night before so it was slick and muddy. The footing is tricky regardless of the weather. You will be hiking over roots and rocks 75% of the time. You'll catch a break for a couple half miles at a time but expect uneven and rugged terrain mostly. For this reason I recommend hiking boots for sure. On other hikes I wear tennis shoes often- I'm glad I didn't attempt this one. I didn't use walking poles but again, If you have them I would recommend using them. It is steep and you'll be going up at a decent clip. I'm in decent shape. I hike weekly and do cardio almost daily. So I'm fairly active . I'd suggest you be in ok shape to attempt this. The elevation, rough terrain and altitude will affect anyone and if you're not used to a decent amount of activity this might be tough. The weather is cooler up there. I took a jacket but within 1 mile took it off because the exertion was enough to keep me warm. Once at the top you'll be rewarded with a beautiful view of the surrounding areas. Rest up because now comes the descent. It's downhill and easier in that sense but again the footing is tedious and you'll have to slow your pace to ensure you don't get tripped up. There are those few straight away areas where you can really move though. It's closer to a 12 mile hike than 10.9 as is stated here. By the end you'll be happy to see the camp. It's a wonderful hike and one that will make you feel proud so Go do it!

Overall a pretty good trail. Very few views until you reach the summit, and even then you're not guaranteed a clear day. I was in the clouds and saw nothing at the summit on 7.18.2016.
Took my dog and I 4 hours from Black Mountain to the summit and 3 back down.
**Anyone with knee problems, Beware of the descent!!! It is killer on the knees

Fun hike - took us 2.5 hours up, and just about 2 hours down. Hung out at the summit and ate lunch next to all the folks who drove up. Gave us a sense of accomplishment. It's never super steep, and looks like there's some killer campsites along the way. Take Higgins bald at least one way to change it up.

Tough climb up. About 3 1/2 hrs up. Pretty easy down; about 2 1/2 hrs.

It was challenging, but the scenery isn't very good until you summit.

It was good. Not Colorado

Great hike. I would rate it slightly easier than Mt. Le Conte in the same mountain range. Went in the beginning of June. A lot of bugs and flies buzzing around but no bites. There's a store at the top.

Great day hike. Amazing views from the top. The hike up was a steady climb, coming down was a little painful. We took the Higgins Bald trail on the way up. Nothing spectacular but glad we did it. The views at the top far outweigh any feelings of resentment for those who drove up there...

i hiked from the campground up and down with 20 a pound backpack for training. It was a great hike and the views from the top are phenomenal.

I'm in decent shape this was my first hike up and back down. it was a challenge with a 15 pound backpack but worth it. not much views other than the summit but still amazing.

Amazing trail. We did the blue trail round trip and it was fun and challenging at the same time. It really test your endurance and would recommend to anyone who likes hiking. You want to plan to start early around 9 am if you are planning to do the round trip.

I have driven 4 hours (from Atlanta) just to hike this magical, fun trail 5 times since Nov. 2014. The stunning, panoramic view is best served after a piping hot dish of moderate/difficult hiking! Wouldn't dare drive to the top unless I had to. There are additional trails near parking lot. Hiking to Big Tom is an absolute must if you want a view from a rocky ridgeline and a bit more climbing than Mount Mitchell offers. Have fun, be safe!

Up, up, up no flatness on this trail. Physically challenging. The view from summit is nice. But, the Deep Gap Trail has even better views and is still challenging.

strenuous with a full pack.

it kills u, if u have sensitive knees while coming back..its all downhill, no breaks, similarly going up its totally all the way without breaks only uphill..but feels like ab achievement once u are done

This is an awesome hike! Definitely one of my favorites. It's not the most difficult hike ever, but it's definitely a challenge. It's pretty consistently uphill the entire way but never very steep. I thought the last 1.5 miles near the top was the most difficult part of the trail. We hiked this at a moderate pace and it took us about 7 hours to complete out and back from the Black Mountain Campground, that being the time we left the car to the time we got back, including any breaks and the time we spent at the top.

Great trail. Went in mid May and there were many wild flowers to see and great views.

It's a slick rock decline down the mountain. Pretty simple trail.

Previously posted and said there were no water sources and that is false. Its been about two years since I made the hike and I had forgotten that there is a water crossing along the way

A friend and I hiked this trail top to bottom in late April. Although It could be done in a single day, I recommend taking your time and making an overnight trip of it. There's a lot of great rock overhangs with great views of surrounding counties. It was a blast and i have nothing negative to say about it. I look forward to hiking bottom to top in the future. Bring plenty of water. Their may be but I did not notice any water sources along the way. I would consider it a difficult hike, but for anyone who grew up in the Appalachians and spent much time in the woods I'd say go for it.