Mount Mitchell Summit Trail

Mount Mitchell Summit Trail is a 0.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

I have been to the summit a couple times now...the first visit I hiked up the Old Mitchell Trail and the second time with the family we parked in the upper parking lot. Regardless of how you get there, it definitely deserves five stars for the views. The last visit was on an unusually cold May morning with beautiful ice crystals/snow falling and shining in the intermittent sun! I can't wait to get back to see what the next visit will bring!

I followed the Summit Trail to the observation deck that has the 360 degrees of the fabulous views from the summit. I could see miles away in this beautiful fall day. I really enjoyed it.

Have been here during several seasons, and the top has changed quite a bit over the years with construction of the new viewing platform. From the upper parking lot at Mt. Mitchell State Park, take the short quarter mile paved Tower Summit Trail to the platform. This gets five stars for the views, be it spring, summer, fall or winter. Being atop the roof of NC gives you a panorama view for up to 85 miles. Signs at the top identify neighboring mountains. The platform can get crowded and noisy, sunrise and sunsets are nice. Our day started out overcast as we did the Black Mountain Crest / Deep Gap trail, and by the time we returned, the sun was peeking out. Some great views at the top in every direction. A nice time to visit is late June when the rhododendrons are in full bloom, painting the mountaintops. By the time you reach the parking lot hiking up from Black Mountain Campground or Deep Gap, this is a breeze and rewards you for your efforts. Enjoy!