Merchant's Millpond State Park Trails

Merchant's Millpond State Park Trails is a 13 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gatesville, NC that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

canoeing

fly fishing

whitewater kayaking

Merchant's Millpond is a Cypress swamp-lake accessed by canoe or kayak. Cypress with Spanish moss hanging down, turtles, birds and duckweed-covered waters make this an enchanting place to paddle!!

Great intro trail to hiking and backpacking. Our Scout Troop hikes this and the other trails at Merchant's Mill Pond State Park on a regular basis. We visit all year long, although the fall and winter are my favorites. During the late spring you need to prepare for red bugs (chiggers.) I also have some good snake pictures, mostly red bellied water snakes and black tree snakes. There are several options for camping and we will combine multiple trails to get a hike that matches our desired length.

There are at least 13 miles of trails in the park that I have enjoyed. All of the trails visit beautiful Cyprus swamp, creek or lake.