Max Patch Trail

Max Patch Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hot Springs, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike along a treeless summit of rolling hills. From the parking area at Max Patch, the trail starts off going north. About 15 minutes into the hike you will come to a sign that indicates the AT to the left and the climb to the top of max Patch to the right. This short 100 yard trail to the top brings you to a grand 360 degree view of NC, TN and Mt. Mitchell to the North East. Simply beautiful. Retrace your steps and head north on the AT. Follow the AT and end this part of the trip at the Roaring Forks AT Shelter.Head south again on the AT and take the long loop trail along the backside of Max Patch. This trail will eventually bring you back to the parking lot where you started.

Nice hike with views of balds.

Fun

You can't beat the view from the top. It is truly spectacular. The long hill walking straight up to the top about did this out-of-shape momma in. The 4 year old didn't have any trouble though!

We went on a Saturday in peak leaf season. The traffic was not too bad on the way in (We came up by 209.) But by the time we left around noon, it was nearly impossible to get out. Cars were parked on both sides of the narrow road for long distances. With vehicles trying to go both ways in the narrow lane that was left, getting out was a nightmare. Go during the week and early in the morning if you can!

An easy trail with pretty views.

This was an easy hike with beautiful scenery. My two and three year old daughters had no trouble going up or down the trail.
The road up to the trail is rough and small so use caution for oncoming traffic.

We traveled to Max Patch to view the sunset on October 1st. We saw there was a couple ways to drive up and we chose the route that says to take I-40 and exit 7. I drive a Honda CR-V and it took us one hour just to get to the parking area. The drive up was an adventure to say the least. The road was only large enough for one-way traffic, it was extremely rocky and uneven, and mud puddles as wide as the road. I don't see how a sedan would have been able to make it. If we ever went back I would definitely take the other route north to Hot Springs. We were still able to see the sunset and it was beautiful. You can see rows of mountain tops for as far as the eye can see. There were over 40 cars parked with multiple people in each but surprisingly we still felt like we had the patch to ourselves. I can't wait to go back and soak up the views again.

Favorite place everrrr!!

Beautiful view, easy hike, great camping

Nice easy hike. Views are amazing. Went during early fall. Beautiful, I would love to hike the trail during a light snow on the mountain.

Beautiful view, nice & easy trail. Getting to the parking lot is miles on a gravel service road.

One of my favorites!!! There are several options with this one... whether you want to go straight to the top or do a great hike around the hill... lots to see, including a pond on down the road. There are snakes in the pond... fyi

Beautiful place. Not much of a hike, more like a short walk. But the views are well worth the long dirt road ride to get there. The Appalachian Trail crosses over the top so I hiked a little of the trail. I loved this place.