Lookout Trail

Lookout Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Black Mountain, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

This trail is moderate with difficult sections. Trailhead is in parking area off Lookout Road. The trail crosses the Old Trestle Road and climbs steeply to end at exposed rocks below the summit of Lookout Mountain with outstanding views of Montreat and the Seven Sisters. Please stay on the marked trail; this mountain has many visitors and several old trails have been closed due to severe erosion problems.

Most difficult trail I've done so far as an inexperienced hiker, not to mention an out of shape middle-aged woman

Well worth the trip up the mountain. Bring water and a camera. Amazing view especially of the foliage. It is steep and definitely a work out!

Great hike up to some amazing views. Definitley some "obstacles" in your way, but worth the effort!

The best!

Tough climb up, but the view is totally worth the sweat. Don't go on a beautiful Saturday if you're looking for solitude, though. It's a favorite to many.

Great place to see is kinda ruff getting to the top but it's worth it great view

This hike is one steep puppy! Lots of large steps and well traveled. You gain 1000 feet in elevation in .6 miles, which is quite the workout. I sweat quite a bit, but the view is worth it! It was breathtaking, definitely worth the sweat. People did bring animals, and even kids. When you get near the top it gets pretty rocky.
Would hike this again!
Probably took us 45-60 minutes round trip (don't hike a lot, but am athletic). Depends how much time you spend at the top.

I attend Montreat college and have hiked this trail twice now. It's only about three minute drive from my residence hall to the trail head! I didn't know about this app until now and I'm not surprised that they rate this as "hard" because it is..but I am surprised I'm even able to make it to the top! It's a constant up hill hike to the top that can get very steep but the way down is easy. The view is definitely worth it!

Love this trail! View was very surprising!

I spontaneously decided to hop on this trail while driving through Montreat, and I'm glad I did! It starts off with a pretty moderate incline. Pretty soon I found myself standing at the first lookout (actually thought I had reached the summit). It was still a breathtaking view, with fall colors at their peak. The short trek from that point to the final lookout is where it gets a little strenuous. Nothing crazy. The view that awaits makes this a very rewarding hike!

This is a great trail! It is very well maintained. The town you drive through (Montreat) on the way to the trail is very neat! Wish we had more time to do more trails in the area.