Left Loop

Left Loop is a 20 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Almond, North Carolina and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

I started with the left loop at 9.30am, I was the only car in the parking, which to me meant, I was the first biker on the trail, I could open up, at least for the first section of the loop. The left loop is a very easy and non technical, and can be taken pretty fast, however, this does not give you Carte Blanche to become gung-ho, there are sections on this trail that allow no errors, any errors on this loop can mean a visit to the Prince of the deep water or a long drop into the lake, as others would say. The left loop has quite a few fun and fast sections with low grade switchbacks, a few minor climbs, and a pretty scenic section that follows a very narrow track along the very blue / green lake. All in all a very nice loop.

Great trail, very pretty area, nice single and double track (mainly single), well maintained, and not too difficult. I rode it on Sunday (direction may matter), and it was fairly easy, rolling, nothing too steep for too long. Good stuff.

NOTE: this is part of the Tsali rec area trail system (even though a search for Tsali here doesn't return it).

Similar to Right Loop in that there's only 1 or 2 big climbs (the last hill before descending down a gravel road back to the parking lot is a beast) and some nice flowing sections. It skirts Lake Fontana for a bit and be on your toes here. A mistake could send you tumbling down the hill into the water. There's a nice scenic overlook before leaving the lake and heading back into the woods. I prefer Left Loop over Right but they're both fun and of equal difficulty.

Today, with 2 new tubes and a spanking new rear tire, I returned to ride the Tsali Left and Right Loop.
All in all a very nice loop.