Left Loop

Left Loop is a 20 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Almond, NC and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

I started with the left loop at 9.30am, I was the only car in the parking, which to me meant, I was the first biker on the trail, I could open up, at least for the first section of the loop. The left loop is a very easy and non technical, and can be taken pretty fast, however, this does not give you Carte Blanche to become gung-ho, there are sections on this trail that allow no errors, any errors on this loop can mean a visit to the Prince of the deep water or a long drop into the lake, as others would say. The left loop has quite a few fun and fast sections with low grade switchbacks, a few minor climbs, and a pretty scenic section that follows a very narrow track along the very blue / green lake. All in all a very nice loop.

Great trail, very pretty area, nice single and double track (mainly single), well maintained, and not too difficult. I rode it on Sunday (direction may matter), and it was fairly easy, rolling, nothing too steep for too long. Good stuff.

NOTE: this is part of the Tsali rec area trail system (even though a search for Tsali here doesn't return it).

Similar to Right Loop in that there's only 1 or 2 big climbs (the last hill before descending down a gravel road back to the parking lot is a beast) and some nice flowing sections. It skirts Lake Fontana for a bit and be on your toes here. A mistake could send you tumbling down the hill into the water. There's a nice scenic overlook before leaving the lake and heading back into the woods. I prefer Left Loop over Right but they're both fun and of equal difficulty.

Today, with 2 new tubes and a spanking new rear tire, I returned to ride the Tsali Left and Right Loop.
All in all a very nice loop.