Lassiter Trail

Lassiter Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gatesville, NC that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Gatesville, NC: The park is located in northeastern North Carolina in Gates County near the community of Gatesville. Follow US 158 east of Gatesville. Turn right off US 158 onto SR 1403. The park is located 1.5 miles south of US 158. After passing the ranger residence you will see the millpond on your left and a boat ramp, picnic and parking area. The trail begins there. OR you may begin from the lower section of the family campground which is accessible from the main park entrance found directly off US 158.

Great intro trail to hiking and backpacking. Our Scout Troop hikes this and the other trails at Merchant's Mill Pond State Park on a regular basis. We visit all year long, although the fall and winter are my favorites. During the late spring you need to prepare for red bugs (chiggers.) I also have some good snake pictures, mostly red bellied water snakes and black tree snakes. There are several options for camping and we will combine multiple trails to get a hike that matches our desired length.

Great place to hike. Watch out for snakes during the warmer weather. It also has backpack camping half way around.

I love this trail and it was easy but the distance kind of got to me. Had to sit in the car for half an hour before the next trail.

A beautiful trail, with pine forest, hardwood forest and the beautiful cypress swamp. But I hope you like bugs. There are signs up in the park warning about ticks. The mosquitoes were constant and so were the spider webs but it is an easy trail with a lot of peace and quiet. I only heard a car once and never encountered anyone on the trail. From the number of spider webs across the trail, I am thinking no one had hiked it in a while. It seems to be more of a canoe park than a hiking park even though the hiking trails are beautiful.

This is an easy, flat trail in Eastern North Carolina. It is in Merchant Millpond State Park. It links to 3 other trail and access to multiple campsites. The trail will close periodically due to flooding so check the state park website for closure updates.