Lakeshore Trail

Lakeshore Trail is a 67.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fontana Dam, NC that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

old growth

Must have permit and must NOT camp outside of campsites. A fine will follow if you do. Many sites: old home place, old vechicles, trail follows Eagle Creek to NW and spectacular views to see. Horse trails lead to campground with many tent sites and cables to hang packs. Fishing is good for lake trout and smallmouth bass. Good trip for 2-3 days in smokies but many rules to follow.

It was a long time ago, but I loved it. Except for the red tape. This is a strenuous hike so do not even think about it if you are not up to it.

It has been five years but I remember the beauty and I think my legs still ache. This was one rough trail for the heavy pack I carried back then. The cabin and restaurant at Fontana dam was a joy.

We did an overnight backpacking trip here, starting with a boat ride from Fontana dam($25) to Hazel creek. From Hazel creek we hiked about 6 miles via lakeshore trail to campsite #90(backcountry permit required and can be acquired through GSMNP). The campsite was awesome, a creek on one side and the river on the other! From campsite #90 we hiked to Fontana dam via lakeshore trail which was about 7 miles. Overall a good trip but the trail is hilly so be prepared, especially day #2.

Distance: 4.7, 6.8, 6.2 miles each day
Trails: Lakeshore Trail, Eagle Creek, Lost Cove Trail, Appalachian Trail

Fantastic easy hike with swimming & history & graveyards!

An awesome trail. We completed this trail unexpectedly when we couldn't get cell service to contact the marina for a ride back from a back country fly-fishing trip. We were actually loaded down with WAY too much gear for a 15 mile trail but managed it. Be ready for serious switch backs at the beginning of the trail. Beautiful scenery, a bit of history and great views of Fontana!