Lake Crabtree Loop Trail

Lake Crabtree Loop Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morrisville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Crab Tree Lake Trail is a 6 mile loop trail located near Raleigh, North Carolina that features a man-made lake fed from the runoff of RDU airport. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for mountain biking, nature trips & trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Lake Crabtree County Park is located on a 215-acre site adjacent to a 520-acre flood control lake, the park hosts more than 16 miles of trails for its main activity. Other activities include group and individual picnicking, catch-and-release fishing, boating, and nature study. Of the 16 miles of trails at Lake Crabtree, 6 of them are the loop that goes all the way around the lake. A program offers an interpretive hike that explores the entire circumference of the lake. Come prepared with good walking shoes that can handle some mud. Blue blazes mark this pedestrian loop around Lake Crabtree . The trail head is located at the kiosk next to the Managers Office. Two highlights of the trail are the Heather Lee Carr Memorial and Black Creek footbridge, each providing a scenic overlook and rest area. A portion of the trail is shared with the Town of Carys Black Creek Greenway. The trail may take the average hiker 2.5- 3 hours to complete. You can pick up a trail map at kiosks near the park HQ.

great easy place to get a touch of nature

Nice, but spiderweb after spiderweb after spiderweb after spiderweb. And I go hiking everyday. I was more concerned about spiders than i was on the nice scenery.

On a beautiful NC day (late summer) I took my favorite hiking buddy Nui (my fearless dog) and we set out to discover this hidden gem. I wanted to take the lake trail, but was distracted with the nature trail. Quickly, we backtracked, and found the trailhead beyond a grassy area by the parking lot. At first, the yellow flowers made it almost magical, but the trail changed, and we walked alongside (literally) a main road, with only a thin path and a rock dam. Eventually, we walked into the woods with multiple boardwalks walking behind buildings (MetLife). A little strange. A few grassy clearings, and over a piped creek (I think we missed a path), we ended up in the woods again. We found some great steps taking the path up to higher elevation (slight). After crossing a couple bridges, the path turned into asphalt, where a lovely overlook to the lake was constructed. This was about 3.5 miles in. The next area was actually closed (?) for construction, but I wasn't turning back. The next part was a path that allowed both hikers and bikers to share. We only came across two bikers. This part of the path was not as well marked as the rest, and I lost the path, resulting in just using the main road to return to my car. Overall, I enjoyed the loop and even though it was very noisy by the main roads, it was not a boring hike. I believe it was just over 6 miles. A good workout, especially for my hiking buddy-who is passed out in the back of the car as I write this!

I customized the trail to keep it under 5 miles and to avoid traffic on Aviation Parkway. I started at the first parking lot at the Crabtree Lake park and walked to the trailhead at Old Reedy Creek road and turned back. It is a good trail. A lot of cyclists use this trail. Quite some road noise while nearing the Old Ready Creek trailhead. Otherwise the lake views are great.

Lake Crabtree Loop Trail in Morrisville, NC - not a trail I would hike again. Granted, it's March as I wrote this, but it's trashy and very loud due to highway traffic. About a mile of it you walk right next to the highway. Plus lots of people riding bikes and they scare the heck out of you when they ride up behind and don't yell "track." We walked it because it was close to home but won't do it again.

Nice easy trail.

nice easy trails, boat rentals, bike station located on trail in case you have to repair bike, trails wrap around lake for scene view.