Hanging Rock Trail

Hanging Rock Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Danbury, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hanging Rock Trail is a 1.3 mile trail (one-way), 2.6 mile (out-and-back). Very well-traveled. If you're not concerned with crowds, this is a good hike.

The stairs can leave you winded, so pace yourself through there. The view is great, with enough room to where you can find your own quiet spot if you go early enough. I started before 9 am and there were only two others on the rock when I got up there. Left the rock around 11 and there were about a dozen. Probably 20 more people on their way up as I came down. Good for families.

Good half day hike. Lots of people during peak season.

Beautiful trail with changing views and challenging elevation-Loved it.

Nice trail in the northern part of the state

Did this hike on 10/15/2016 with my boyfriend. It was his very first hike EVER & he is now HOOKED on hiking so this trail is good for beginners! The steps towards the top are killer but worth it! Lots of spots to sit & eat at the top. It was pretty busy (we went around 3ish) but we didn't mind the crowds.

Lots of parking available & a visitor center with CLEAN BATHROOMS (No porta potties)!!!

Be careful driving to the parking though because there was an awful accident when we went.

I like to get an early start on this one because it can get very crowded. It is a nice not-too-difficult hike up to the park's namesake peak, starting from the parking area opposite the visitor center. It has a great view at the top, looking west back to Moore's Knob.

beautiful at the top.

Great vistas at the top!

Beautiful view - especially at the end of the trail.

Great views at the top. Fun to bring a picnic for the top. Worth the leg burning walk up!

This is one of my favorite hikes since it is within reasonable driving distance and is moderately challenging. I have been hiking it for years. I proposed to my wife at the top of the trail over 30 years ago.

Great intermediate hike for beginners. Trail gets toughest at the top of the man made stairs, mostly turns into big rocks and boulders. The view and breeze are worth all the stops along the way!!

One of my local favorites! Beautiful views of the Piedmont area from the top. Lower end of moderate...there are a few steep steps throughout this busy trail.