Green River Narrows

Green River Narrows is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flat Rock, NC that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice deeply wooded hike along stream on the way to the Green River narrows. This trail begins on the Pulliam Creek Trail off of SR 1802. After 1/2 mile notice wooden boards going down to a water fall on the left. There is also a nice camping area on the right about 3/4 of mile down the trail. Go south on this trail for about 1.2 miles. At this intersection, the Pulliam Trail continues south & east and veers left. Veer right down a steep and slippery trail to the foot of the Green River Narrows. The trail is marked by pink ribbons. Caution: this is an extremely slippery and dangerous route to take, but views of the Green River Rapids are worth the trip.I would not recommend taking any children on this trip and you must be in good shape. There are numerous rocks to sit on for sun bathing or watching the Kayaks come down the rapids. On occasion you will probably see abandoned Kayaks and views of the rapids might explain it.

This is an awesome trail. The trail is fairly easy mostly down hill as you hike into the Forrest. There are two small bridges to cross before you get to the trail leading to the falls. The trail to the falls off slightly to the right marked with a blue tag. The trail to the falls is steep. There are ropes to assist you as you climb down. You will need them. The trail angles right and is a little more steep as you reach the base to the falls. I would highly recommend this trail. My dog handle it with ease.

We were the only ones there on an October Wednesday, unless you count the turkeys. Most of the hike was just OK. Clearly marked, well-maintained trails. Some views. The descent to the falls was pretty challenging. Even in dry conditions, it was slippery. Lots of leaves and loose dirt. Our three legged pup did most of the hike without assistance (he's part billy goat). I had to carry him for one short section. The falls are definitely the highlight of the trip. They're beautiful. We spent an hour just enjoying our private oasis. This was a great way to spend a fall afternoon. Highly recommended.

Wooded hike along the ridge of the creek, easy for the 80% of the hike, fun part is in the last 20% though! Ropes guiding you down the steep descent to the green river narrows. Excellent spot once you get down there. Cascading little water falls and big rocks. I'd go again. The trail is primarily dirt and clay, wouldn't do while raining.

The trail itself is not all that exciting and it is very easy, being mostly downhill all the way to the split. Even coming back, the incline is not too difficult. What is difficult and exciting is the descent to the rapids (taking a right when the trail splits) using the ropes and meandering down a very steep hill. The rapids themselves offer plenty of opportunity for wasting time climbing rocks or wading/swimming. Awesome spot!! All total (including 30-45 minutes poking around at the river) this took me 2 hours. Perfect place to get a quick hike in.

The ropes we so much fun going down to the waterfall. I also enjoyed that most of the Hike is along the river so you can hear the peaceful sounds of the water.

Lovely trail! Along the first quarter mile, there are tons of wild flowers and wild berries. It was stunning and rejuvenating.

We didn't have rain for at least four days before this hike so we didn't have problems crossing the stream or slipping much. I advise NOT going after a heavy rain if are traveling with children, pets, or anyone with unstable ankles/knees. There would be lots of slick places.

I'd say 4/5 of the trail is a relatively easy hike. All of the challenge comes in the last portion as you descend to the falls. The ropes are truly helpful but if you want an adventure, climb the perimeters and use rocks and roots.

This hike is suitable for large dogs, especially in dryer conditions. Smaller dogs may not fare well down near the falls where the boulders are larger and they'd have to jump up...and I'm not sure if you'd want to try to carry them!

Enjoy!

This was my second time on this trail . This time we went all the way down to the falls, it looks almost impossible once you reach the last rope on the descent to the Green River , but if you look far to the right there are several big roots you can hang onto down to the bottom ( and we found another rope). The rain on the way back was a blessing !!!!

went there with Weston Dino van it was a real Baloo and Mowgli kina day

This place is amazing! Perfect spots for swimming and the ropes to get up and down were a nice bonus!

me and some friends went one afternoon after school, we didnt get far before it started to get dark so we just stopped on the side of the trail about a mile in and swam in the creek for a while tons of fun.

Tip top. A bit tricky . I don't recommend bringing your pup unless they are geared up for a challenge and sore paws . Descent to the Green River is challenging , but worth it . Moderate to advanced skill .

Wow, this was quite a treat, as we sort of 'happened' upon it. A series of ropes help you descend,then get back up the very steep ,rocky, and gnarly bank.

This place is awesome. I've lived less than an hour from here my whole life and never knew something this amazing was so close. My group spent well over an hour rock hopping and making our way up the narrows. Be extremely careful, because the river isn't going to be forgiving. The trail leading to the narrows is pretty easy to follow. If you are concerned you aren't going the right way, the trail leading to it is actually called the Pulliam Creek Trail and there is a marker at the beginning. (http://alltrails.com/trail/us/north-carolina/pulliam-creek-trail). The trail head is off of the right side of Big Hungry Rd., when you are headed down hill, and is sort of tucked out of sight. There is space off the side of the road to park. Split off from the main trail once you see ropes leading down an extremely steep hill. It is well worth making the trek down and up.

Loved it. Challenging to get back up, but a fun time.

This trail is fantastic ! Easy on the way in , moderate to hard descent down to the falls. Super views ! We will definitely go back

Really enjoyed this hike. The climb down and up the gorge was fun, and the river was amazing. The ropes down helped a bit. Didn't need them on the way up. The rivers in the mountains were all at flood stage due to all the recent rain, so I assume the Green was higher than normal as well (even though it is dam controlled). I only made it a little way up river, since the water was high, and I was hiking alone. I'd like to come back with a partner and hike further upriver.

Note that to go upriver at all required jumping over a tributary (Pulliam Creek?) that made me a little uneasy running as hard as it was. I personally would not be comfortable taking a dog with me on this hike, but if I did, I would make sure they were in a harness.