Green Knob Trail

Green Knob Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Little traveled trail with two entrances off the Blue Ridge Parkway that includes Sims Creek as well as Sims Pond.

Nice hike

We just hiked this trail January 7th, 2017 in about 8" of snow and a temperature of about 14F. This makes the hike very difficult. Beautiful trail, especiall once you cross under the Blue Ridge Parkway and start up the open field. Great views of Grandfather Mountain as you decend from Green Knob back towards the Parkway.

nice trail. moderate to easy.

One of our favorites!

One of our favorites. Challenging but doable. First portion has nine picturesque tiny streams as it meanders up and down to an open field. After a straight hike up to green knob, the descent is pretty straightforward with no rocks or tree roots to climb over. A big plus is that it's a loop so it ends at the same parking area where it begins.

There's a beautiful meadow maybe a third of the way around the loop and it has a bench below a flowering tree (in the early summer). I always stop there to rest and give my dog water. I love the varied terrain of this trail. It can get pretty muddy around the streams and there's a rather steep decline that my friends were slipping on, but just make sure your shoes have good traction. I love this trail.

Relatively short but nice hike. Varied terrain with streams and meadows

This is one of my favorite trails!! It was minimally populated, even in July. The trail goes through a couple of beautiful meadows and follows a stream for the first half. It can be quite steep in areas, but I would give it a moderate rating instead of difficult. My kids (12 and 15) loved it. The loop takes about 2 hours at a slow to moderate pace. There isn't a clear marking for the trail head-look for a pull out next to sims pond and the trail head starts on the other side of the pond. Highly recommended!