Green Knob Trail

Green Knob Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Blowing Rock, NC that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Little traveled trail with two entrances off the Blue Ridge Parkway that includes Sims Creek as well as Sims Pond.

nice trail. moderate to easy.

One of our favorites!

One of our favorites. Challenging but doable. First portion has nine picturesque tiny streams as it meanders up and down to an open field. After a straight hike up to green knob, the descent is pretty straightforward with no rocks or tree roots to climb over. A big plus is that it's a loop so it ends at the same parking area where it begins.

There's a beautiful meadow maybe a third of the way around the loop and it has a bench below a flowering tree (in the early summer). I always stop there to rest and give my dog water. I love the varied terrain of this trail. It can get pretty muddy around the streams and there's a rather steep decline that my friends were slipping on, but just make sure your shoes have good traction. I love this trail.

Relatively short but nice hike. Varied terrain with streams and meadows

This is one of my favorite trails!! It was minimally populated, even in July. The trail goes through a couple of beautiful meadows and follows a stream for the first half. It can be quite steep in areas, but I would give it a moderate rating instead of difficult. My kids (12 and 15) loved it. The loop takes about 2 hours at a slow to moderate pace. There isn't a clear marking for the trail head-look for a pull out next to sims pond and the trail head starts on the other side of the pond. Highly recommended!

Relatively easy and nice hike for couples where the wives are not big hikers...

A lovely short hike! This trail follows a creek for the first half of it, goes under a bridge (which is actually really cool), and then goes uphill where a reward of a beautiful meadow awaits. The difficulty rating of "hard" really depends on how good of shape you are in. For me, it was on the difficult side of moderate, but not quite fully difficult, if that makes sense. I'm not in the BEST shape, but I still got through it. For me, the most difficult part was the last quarter of a mile going straight downhill with little relief. It was a very steep descent, and it was rough on my ankles and knees. I don't know why anyone would go hiking in the rain to begin with, but if you are one of those people who either enjoy it or take the chance when it's calling for rain, avoid this trail! It would easily become dangerous even with a light drizzle.

The only reason I don't give this 5 stars is simply because the trail is not well maintained. I first did this trail many years ago, and it was really great, but now it's very overgrown in some places and the trail is difficult to see. Just a minor criticism, though. I definitely recommend anyone to check it out!

Good hike among varying terrain. We use the Shulls Mill trailhead for some variety and less crowded.

Nice variety of landscapes and multiple creek crossings.

Very cool hike with a lot of variety from open hills to creek views.

My husband and I are new to hiking and it was a fairly easy hike. The best part for us was the meadow about halfway through. Beautiful creeks and waterfalls throughout. A few steep climbs but not too bad. Would recommend a camera and some non-slippery shoes. Our hiking sticks came in handy also.

Depending on which end you start on, it's gonna be mostly uphill one way or downhill the other. It's really beautiful & the pasture you come through makes it worth it! Also so many small creeks/waterfalls :)