Green Knob Trail

Green Knob Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Burnsville, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

3.2 miles 2278 feet Point to Point

Awesome day hike and pretty views from Black Mountain Campground trailhead. Approximately 3.5 miles and 2,000 ft elevation gain to Green Knob Overlook & Watchtower on Blue Ridge Parkway.

Hard

I am surprised by the reviews which call this hike grueling or brutal. We hiked it on a warm day from the campground to the tower, 2 hours, 12 minutes. The trail has lots of stumps and some rocks, but I only used my hands once. A few views of Mt. Mitchell and the other hills along the way, and an excellent view at the top. really nice woods full of rhododendron and mountain laurel in bloom, There are some steep climbs coming and going, but if two elderly New Yorkers can do this, maybe you could, too.

A friend and I hiked this trail on 5/20/14...I confess I think of the Mt. Mitchell trail while writing this since that trailhead is just across the road in the Black Mtn. campground (one of my favorites). If you looking for a sheer challenge and a great aerobic workout, go for it, but it is a strenuous hike all uphill for 2.8 miles, and the kicker (we learned AFTER we got down) was that someone had burned the fire tower 2 years ago, so they built it back and padlocked the access - no 360 degree view from the top as advertised on the map we got at the campground. Sure, you can sit on the top steps and gaze through grating and metal supports. Also, other than a few rhododendron blooms on the way up, there was nothing else of any real interest. I'd recommend the Mt. Mitchell trail...sure, a longer hike and also strenuous, but not like this ball-buster, and it has far more interesting scenery.

This is a really nice trail although it's a fairly strenuous climb of about 2,000 ft over about 3.5 miles. Long 7 mile walk to go up and down -- better to park a car at the Green Knob Overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway and then drive down. Beautiful views of the Black Mountains and Mount Mitchell. The topo lines in this app are way off for this trail but the trail lines are right on the money. Trail markings are not great on this trail so the app is very helpful!