Great Smoky Mountains National Park Trails

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Trails is a 4 mile loop trail located near Waynesville, NC. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

wheelchair friendly

Very scenic despite not being in full foliage. Moderate incline which made a good hike

Phenomenal views. Steep at the beginning but very much worth it. It has many isolated areas with great views, to sit and relax, eat lunch, etc. Also, the GPS is accurate. I initially thought it may have been wrong but the beginning of the hike is a dirt road that leads to the trail. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Uphill much of the beginning first few miles and about 2 miles longer (6 miles total) round-trip if you have to park at the gate, but so worth the views and variety of scenery. Be aware that there are bear sightings at times and learn how to be safe if you encounter one.

Good views

Tough climb. Absolutely worth it! Tons of blackberries to eat!! Great drive up too! Hemphill road was gorgeous.

It was hard but worth it!! Loved the view

Outstanding Great view from top. Hike up was not too bad but added some challenge. Highly recommend

Great family hike with a huge pay off at the top!

We hiked the Ferguson cabin trail, it was an easy hike. All the plants were beautiful and the hike was secluded, even though there were cars in the parking lot at the research site where we started. I definitely recommend.

Great hike during a great time of year.

I have been on this trail and it is possibly like heaven it is a climb but it sure is worth the whole trip , the park is so nice and i love all of the trails . My sister who is in the other picture even decided to come with me she traveled all the way from vermont with her family to go on a family hike and she became a country girl over day . We all loved this walk and might try it out again soon remember the climb and the destination is worth it .... but always bring somebody you love to enjoy it with you... love karry

If you want a good challenge with a lot of ups and downs, this is a great place to go. Pack light because the topo is intense. there should be plenty of berries and natural food sources if rain hasnt been a problem. I have hiked the GSM twice once in a long drought, were water and animals became a hassle. I went 15 miles with one bottle of water, I had springs maked but all of them were dry untill I made camp at Tri-Corner knob. The second time I took this trail it rained every day and fires were hard to get going but the fishing was great and the plant and wildlife were amazing the few times the sun came out. I suggest going over Thuder Ridge, this is a thick rododendren patch at the peak but there is a pile of rocks that you can climb and see over all the vegetation and it is truely beautiful.