Dutchmans Creek Trail

Dutchmans Creek Trail is a 5.8 mile point-to-point trail located near Mount Gilead, NC that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible from October until April.

5.8 miles 826 feet Point to Point

Directions from Troy, NC: Southern Access: Travel southwest on SRs 24 / 27 for about 10 miles. Shortly after passing State Highway 1134, you will see Forest Service Road 517. Parking is available at this intersection. You may begin on the Uwharrie Trail from this point or cross the forest service road and begin on Dutchman's Creek Trail.Northern Access: You begin on a spur trail from the Yates Place Campground. Travel northwest on SR 109 approximately 1 - 2 miles turning left on SR 1134. Take SR 1134 for about 1.5 miles turning right onto Forest Service Road 6746. There is a church on the corner. This road carries you directly to Yates Place Camp.

I landed up hiking about 11.5 miles up there and it was not the most enjoyable Hike. Great to do trail running and training on but for the most part there wasn't much to see and not challenging as a hike. But that may have been the route I took.

Hiked on 12-8-2015. completed the Uwharrie Trail back in October and wanted to do the Dutchman Creek as a loop so that I experience it all. Dutchman Creek was a mess in alot of the lower section. must of been a bad storm that blowed through tons of trees down. The hike itself was fine just no scenery. The Upper Dutchman wasn't as bad. Once at the intersection of the Upper and Uwharrie Trail, I followed the Uwharrie back to the 24 trailhead. For a great camping site water up and stay camp on top of Dennise Mountain.

This weekends hike was actually the 10 mile upper loop made up by the Uwharrie and Dutchmans Creek trails. I went in at Yates Place on Saturday morning after the rain/ice storm passed through the state. It was a bit muddy but not too bad. I did the loop counter clockwise and I added on 5 extra miles with an out and back north on Uwharrie to State Rd. 109 Saturday night/ Sunday morning.
Friday night I was cleaning up ice storm damage in Hillsborough, dressed for winter, and by 11am Saturday morning I was hiking in Uwharrie National Forest wearing a short sleeve shirt and short pants! You gotta love North Carolina in the spring.
Along the way i passed a few other hikers, two Boy Scout troops with reluctant parents in tow, and a pretty large mens group. Other than that it was quiet with beautiful spring time weather. This again means 28 to 30 degrees F in the early morning and 68 by lunch. Nice day. Lots of really big trees knocked down by storm damage. The trails have been cleared. But the number and the size of trees knocked down is pretty impressive. Also, there was recently a control burn for some parts near Yates Place. Looks like a pretty good burn. I'm used to it. My Father was a NC State Forester. I've seen lots of burnt woods in my days.