EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak

Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Blowing Rock, NC that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

One of the Parkway's most rewarding hikes climbs 2,000 feet (one way) in 3.5 miles from the Boone Fork lot at Mile 299.5 Grandfather Mountain, the most iconic peak on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Asheville, N.C., and the Virginia state line, practically dares hikers check out to its highest crags. Because the peak is so prominent on the Parkway, it's only natural to answer Grandfather's challenge from one of the road's turnouts. My favorite way to hike this route is to start out from the Boone Fork parking area on the Tanawha trail, take the right turn at the Nuwati Trail, follow it to the left turn at Cragway Trail, and pause at the Flat Rock junction with the Daniel Boone Scout Trail. From there, I take the Scout Trail to the high point at Calloway Peak, and return on it all the way to the trailhead. Best time to go: The autumn colors of late early October will be spectacular, but the weekend crowds may dim the glow (weekdays should be far less crowded). The rhododendron bloom of early June is another great time to go. Early winter, before the first blizzards, and early spring, after the snow's melted, offer the best views of the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. Winter is the least-advisable time to attempt this hike: the Parkway is typically closed and deep snow can totally obscure the trail.

Good workout. Well marked path.

It was very humid and sticky at the Boone parking lot. By the time I reached Calloway the clouds gave way to some sun and the breeze helped dry things out. Beautiful views and great boulder scrambles along the cliffs.

Very challenging! Went to grandfather mountain from here. Nice views. My three sons and myself had a great time. Definitely research and decide for yourself. It is strenuous. 10.5 hours is what it took us!

It was a great hike on a hot July day. We hiked up from the Boone Fork Parking lot on the Parkway. It wasn't a fast hike but loved it. There were a few spots that we had to figure out which way the trail went, for instance when the trail went up the face of a pretty large rock. Don't miss the Viaduct View, a side trail off to the left once you climb that rock face. Once we made it to Calloway Peak we continued on the Grandfather Trail. Due to approaching weather and wanting to be off the trail before dark we didn't hike all the way to the swinging bridge. On the way back down the Scout trail we opted to take the Cragway Trail. Cragway had beautiful vistas for sure...but a tough one mile hike down with sore knees.
Keep in mind there's no water source on the Daniel Boone Scout Trail. Take plenty of water, especially if your taking in part of Grandfather trail.

This was one of the best hikes we have ever taken. A month ago we hiked the Profile trail and loved it so we came back to hit the DB. It did not disappoint at all. We parked at the trail head on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The trail had everything we love about this mountain with roots, rocks, stumps, and a few stumbles.

Always well marked we loved the climb to Calloway peak. The well placed ladders on the trail was awesome and actually a lot of fun and necessary. If you are interested in finding the plane crash site you can begin looking from the camp site to the right of the trail and just before the first set of ladders. It was a sobering place to see that unfortunate spot.

It was such a gorgeous day we added the Grandfather trail brought the attic window and onto McRae's peak. You can easily accomplish these hikes in a day with it being right at 10 miles round trip.

This trail is awesome! Although the parking lot was completely full, I did not run in to many other hikers on the trail. It was well marked and easy to follow. There are terrific viewpoints along the way.

The trail is awesome, beautiful and tough, the hike to Calloway Peak is amazing. We stopped at Flat Rock, the Viaduct view and the airplane wreck. Climbing the ladders was an additional challenge, the rock face climb was the biggest challenge for me, but we still made it to the top. We are just getting back into hiking and us "unseasoned 50+ year old hikers" made it to the top in 3 hrs and 15 min from the Boone Fork Parking Area. We will definitely do this one again!

The hike to Calloway Peak was awesome with a stops at Flat Rock, the Viaduct view and the airplane wreck. The views were spectacular. Climbing the ladders added the extra something special

I just did this trail with my dog. It's a beautiful trail that seemed lightly traveled. I don't think I'd say it's "Hard". For all you dog owners out there everyone had their dogs off leash. I did the same after a while.

my 9 year old son and I hiked Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak. We camped overnight at Briar Patch. It was windy and cold but overall very nice.

From the blue ridge parking lot, the in and out is 7.5 (includes an approach trail).

The trail is rough for casual hikers. You will step on jagged rock and tree roots as much as you step on dirt.

The first 2 miles are a gradual hike up, which includes one outlook view. The rest is woods, woods and more woods.

The third mile is a bear, and includes hard, slippery steps up rock face and a few ladders.

The happy ending is an incredible view of mountain tops and grandfather. Not a lot space at the peak. If they're are more than 2 parties, it's crowded.

We spent may 15th-17th on the trail, had showers off and on, on the way up to the ravens roost campsite. leaving gear behind the next morning we went the rest of the way up to the peak and it was beautiful. There is nothing quite like having the top of a mountain all to oneself. Upon hearing of more rain coming in we decided to spend the next night at the Daniel Boone campsite, the next morning I was up early enough to catch sunrise from flat rock view. descending back down on the way back via the cragway trail.
If you are backpacking up I would suggest not coming up on cragway, there are quite a few "steps" that are around 2ft tall and are no fun with a 45+ pound pack.

Fantastic.

This trail is great. A gradual incline. A permit is required. I would recommend starting near Boone Fork. Near the top, there are huge flat rocks to climb. We didn't get a chance to go over them because it was pouring rain and we didn't want to endanger ourselves. Flat rock view was a treat and added bonus to our hike.