Lake Crabtree Loop Trail

Lake Crabtree Loop Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morrisville, NC that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Crab Tree Lake Trail is a 6 mile loop trail located near Raleigh, North Carolina that features a man-made lake fed from the runoff of RDU airport. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for mountain biking, nature trips & trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Lake Crabtree County Park is located on a 215-acre site adjacent to a 520-acre flood control lake, the park hosts more than 16 miles of trails for its main activity. Other activities include group and individual picnicking, catch-and-release fishing, boating, and nature study. Of the 16 miles of trails at Lake Crabtree, 6 of them are the loop that goes all the way around the lake. A program offers an interpretive hike that explores the entire circumference of the lake. Come prepared with good walking shoes that can handle some mud. Blue blazes mark this pedestrian loop around Lake Crabtree . The trail head is located at the kiosk next to the Managers Office. Two highlights of the trail are the Heather Lee Carr Memorial and Black Creek footbridge, each providing a scenic overlook and rest area. A portion of the trail is shared with the Town of Carys Black Creek Greenway. The trail may take the average hiker 2.5- 3 hours to complete. You can pick up a trail map at kiosks near the park HQ.

Nice, but spiderweb after spiderweb after spiderweb after spiderweb. And I go hiking everyday. I was more concerned about spiders than i was on the nice scenery.

On a beautiful NC day (late summer) I took my favorite hiking buddy Nui (my fearless dog) and we set out to discover this hidden gem. I wanted to take the lake trail, but was distracted with the nature trail. Quickly, we backtracked, and found the trailhead beyond a grassy area by the parking lot. At first, the yellow flowers made it almost magical, but the trail changed, and we walked alongside (literally) a main road, with only a thin path and a rock dam. Eventually, we walked into the woods with multiple boardwalks walking behind buildings (MetLife). A little strange. A few grassy clearings, and over a piped creek (I think we missed a path), we ended up in the woods again. We found some great steps taking the path up to higher elevation (slight). After crossing a couple bridges, the path turned into asphalt, where a lovely overlook to the lake was constructed. This was about 3.5 miles in. The next area was actually closed (?) for construction, but I wasn't turning back. The next part was a path that allowed both hikers and bikers to share. We only came across two bikers. This part of the path was not as well marked as the rest, and I lost the path, resulting in just using the main road to return to my car. Overall, I enjoyed the loop and even though it was very noisy by the main roads, it was not a boring hike. I believe it was just over 6 miles. A good workout, especially for my hiking buddy-who is passed out in the back of the car as I write this!

I customized the trail to keep it under 5 miles and to avoid traffic on Aviation Parkway. I started at the first parking lot at the Crabtree Lake park and walked to the trailhead at Old Reedy Creek road and turned back. It is a good trail. A lot of cyclists use this trail. Quite some road noise while nearing the Old Ready Creek trailhead. Otherwise the lake views are great.

Lake Crabtree Loop Trail in Morrisville, NC - not a trail I would hike again. Granted, it's March as I wrote this, but it's trashy and very loud due to highway traffic. About a mile of it you walk right next to the highway. Plus lots of people riding bikes and they scare the heck out of you when they ride up behind and don't yell "track." We walked it because it was close to home but won't do it again.

Nice easy trail.

nice easy trails, boat rentals, bike station located on trail in case you have to repair bike, trails wrap around lake for scene view.

I love to do this trail on Saturday mornings. it's never very busy and my dog loves it.

My hike was Loops 1, 3, and 4, about 5 miles all together. Not a bad hike, part of the trail was along RT 40 but far enough off the road so that it was still kind of private, drivers would never know you were there. Not too much to look at as far as scenery, but I thought it was peaceful. I was surprised to see the bike jumps in the middle of the trail area, but thought that was pretty cool. Hopefully nobody gets seriously hurt because if you yell for help you're out of luck, not a lot of people using the trail when I was there. Overall it is a nice place to hike.

These trails are fun to ride and they are pretty well maintained. I really liked the pump section and the jump section. Also, there are a lot of roots on these trails. However, they need more signage, unless you have ridden these trails many times, they are tough to navigate.

The photo for this trail is Crabtree Falls located at milepost 339 on the Blue Ridge Parkway just outside of Linville NC...not Virginia. My girlfriend and I hiked to this waterfall back on August 10th this year and the photo attached to this trail description is identical to the photo we took of the waterfall (complete with the downed tree on the left side of the photo). It's a strenuous hike on the way back but well worth it. Happy trails, everyone!

Great all around park with spaces for many activities. Excellent for families with kids. Great sunset over the water.

I hiked the loop around the lake but didn't care for it much. Seemed to have too much traffic noise even when not walking along the street. In addition to that there was 2 construction sites and business park that took away from the sense of being away from the city. Sewer smells were bad along several areas of the trail. Maybe 20+ sewer manholes along the trail.

I hiked this loop but would probably not return. Too much road noise along the trail for me. Over 20 sewer manholes emitting sewer gas smells all along trail. Two construction sites on trail. Part of trail hugs a business park and busy street. Don't go here if you expect to find an escape from the city.

I agree with Rob, as there were duplicates listed for Crabtree Falls - search on Crabtree Falls Trail. Have modified this trail entry to coincide with the six mile loop trail at Lake Crabtree in Morrisville, NC at Lake Crabtree County Park. Apologies to those who confused this with Crabtree Falls off the Blue Ridge Parkway (Robert) - you can reload your pics and trail reviews on the Crabtree Falls Trail - http://alltrails.com/trail/us/north-carolina/crabtree-falls-trail. Hope this helps! btw Lake Crabtree is an awesome place to explore, hang out, canoe, sail, hike, trail run, has lots of bike trails too. The six mile trail is relatively flat around the lake with some brief up and downs that will give you a nice workout. Crabtree Falls Trail off the Blue Ridge is on my list to hike soon.

Great suburban trail, with lovely mix of open and wooded areas. While you do walk near roadways and office parks at times ,they don't distract from the overall enjoyment. Went during the weekday with my two kids, and they both had fun --saw no bikes and only two other walkers. Entrance to trail is on the right side of the field in front of the parking lot. Recommended.

pretty nice trails but not maked the greatest...watch for mountain bikers who seem to feel the trails are theirs alone...

Nice hike.