Coontree Loop Mountain Bike Trail

Coontree Loop Mountain Bike Trail is a 3.7 mile trail located near Brevard, NC and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

3.7 miles 600 feet

Directions from Brevard, NC: Travel US 276 northwest for approximately 5 - 7 miles to a small picnic grove located on the left hand side of the road just beyond the larger Coontree Picnic Area.

The Coontree Loop is a hiking only trail. There is a 1 mile section where the Bennet Gap trail and Coontree run concurrently and this is only section legal for bikes.

Nice walk through the forest, many beautiful wildflowers.

This shady trail was varied and quite steep with bare tree roots and rocks in many places. The views of Looking Glass Rock were excellent. We did the loop and the extension at the top, which turned out to be rugged with little payoff in scenery. Even in August wildflowers and fungi were plentiful. Several areas showed significant erosion and the trail would be unpleasant and dangerous if wet. We had a refreshing breeze and interesting vegetation to look at. There are 3 creek crossings using logs with handrails. The total loop with the extension was 8.5 miles. There are restrooms at the trailhead, a picnic area, as well as a swimming hole in which to refresh after your hike.

Not sure why this is labeled as a "Mountain Bike Trail". There is no way it would be safe to bike this trail. The sign at the entry of the trail is even marked for hiking only. I don't think my family and I were prepared for this hike considering we had just hiked Moore Cove right before it. Had this been our only hike of the day, I think we would have enjoyed it more. Very narrow trail, but lush and cool with canopied trees. Where the trail forks, we chose to go to the left which takes you up, up and away. But what comes up, must come down and boy does it. Take your time with this one especially if you have kids. My boys are 12 & 8, pretty athletic and didn't struggle too much, but I do not recommend it for kids younger than 8.

Pleasant loop with excellent early spring wildflowers particularly along the lower flat section. Moderate, well graded trail. Follows Coontree Creek for a while then climbs to near the top of Coontree Mountain. Intersects with the Bennett Gap Trail at the ridge top.