Coleman Trail

Coleman Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gatesville, NC that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great intro trail to hiking and backpacking. Our Scout Troop hikes this and the other trails at Merchant's Mill Pond State Park on a regular basis. We visit all year long, although the fall and winter are my favorites. During the late spring you need to prepare for red bugs (chiggers.) I also have some good snake pictures, mostly red bellied water snakes and black tree snakes. There are several options for camping and we will combine multiple trails to get a hike that matches our desired length.

took the family out and it was a blast

A nice little trail. It is an easy trail with benches about every half mile. It seems like the forest keeps changing moods. Light and dark; pine, hardwood and cypress; level and bouncing up and down; the surface of the trail itself goes from moss to leaves to sand to pine needles.

This is a beautiful trail. Most of it is woodland but there is one area where it comes down to the cypress swamp and even offers a bench to sit and watch. There was a flock of ducks sitting a few feet away from us and suddenly they got very spooked. I never saw what it was. It could have been an alligator, a turtle or maybe they just did not like us sitting there??? I would have loved to get a picture of an alligator in a cypress swamp if that was it.