Chestnut Knob Loop Trail

Chestnut Knob Loop Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bostic, NC that features a waterfall. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wide and rocky, with steep grades. Fairly difficult to make it to the top.

My favorite of all time. I've hiked them all. Super strenuous for the non experienced hiker in some areas. Get what you put into it here. Be careful and take some basic supplies in case of a slip trip or fall.

Amazing trails, my family and i love to visit here. If you never been here in the fall or winter months please give it a shot. Beautiful view with ice on the side of the mountains.

Trail was beautiful and well maintained. I would definitely come again as the state park has 40 miles of trails and its easy to navigate different trails. Park ranger office is very friendly and they have free maps as well.

great hike. fun to catch on the backside by the state hospital reservoir 20 min from downtown Morganton and great mountain views of south mountain up close and table rock in the distance. we hiked 4 miles round trip. moderate up and down but could do with my almost 60 year old parents

Awesome!!!

Good

Love it

I had a couple of pleasant hikes there.

I had no clue this trail was 17 miles long!! That explains why I was hiking in the dark ad it was closing time when I got out. I was really getting worried when it got dark and I had no flash light. Outside of that it was a good hike however a bit boring.

Fantastic state park full of trails, camping and beautiful water features. About half the trails are wide and maintained as equestrian trails, though they are also great for mountain biking. The problem, from a hiking perspective, is they are largely comprised of gravel and a little boring to hike. Every now and again you'll find an opening in the trees and catch a beautiful vista. If you hike the trails in the fall or summer there is less overgrowth and more to see.

Aside from the equestrian trails the trails which are more compatible with hikers are really great. Chestnut Knob, Shinning Creek, High Shoals; all wonder hikes. The best way to tackle the park is plan for a two day with a stay at one of the camp grounds.

I frequently hike at South Mountain. It's a beautiful place to go. Although I would recommend for someone to go during the fall/spring. The winter and summer are very cold and hot at times.

Took the trail to the Waterfall - then climbed to the Upper Falls overlook - not a bad view! Lots of spurs and loops intermixed with the campgrounds to keep you busy!

Great hike during the winter. Hike New Years day 2011. Waterfall was frozen and beautiful. Snow on the ground, approx 2"

The road was in excellent condition, but I didn't realize that it was 17 miles. I had to turn back after reaching to top. I was running out of daylight, and my dog was exhausted. I had recently purchased my bike, and did not have the conditioning for such demanding hills. I had to push my bike most of the way. lol I do plan on returning to finish the full 17 mile loop very soon. The huge waterfall, and views at the top of the mountain are beautiful.

At the top do not take the trail that leads back down to the waterfall. Your better off going back the way you came, or finishing the loop. You'll have to carry your bike for a mile, and down a very steep set of steps. This is not something you want to do exhausted.