Cedar Rock

Cedar Rock is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cedar Mountain, NC and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Wonderful Hike - Fall colors were beautiful. I will hike it again.

Nice but bumpy bike ride down from Big Rock!

My buddy and I did this loop in early April. We had not read any detailed reviews, so we weren't expecting much. We rode Frozen Creek earlier in the day, and it was a lot of steep uphill walking. In short, Cedar Creek is over the top. Fantastic fun!!

Park at Cornmill Shoals park area, go across the street, take a left and head straight up a very technical climb then the fun begins! Cedar Rock was part of Mountain Biking Magazines 10 best Epic Rides in the USA. I hope this gives you and idea of what to expect. The trail hits rock at the top of the mountain, super fast and downhill from there, it just might possibly be the most fun I've ever had on a MB! Amazing views and some of the best waterfalls you will ever see are in the area! This trail in particular with it's connector trails is one way to access Bridal Veil Falls but not so close to Triple Falls. Enjoy! Be prepared to be WOWED!

I arrived nice and early at a dry Corn Mill Shoals Car Park, there was just one car there, with a bike rack!!.. Luvly Jubly!!

My ride today was going to be fast, and it was going to be damn right mental!!, so I opted for the 3 best trails in the DuPont Forest, and I did not do this loop once, I did it 2.5 times..

My loop..

Corn Shoals onto veered left to climb Big Rock at the top I took a left and hamerd down Cedar Rock like a greased whippet needing a spot to shit! then onto Little River Trail heading for Burnt Mountain Climbed anti clockwise up Burnt Mountain, and really opened up on the downhill, seeing as this is my 4th ride on Burnt Mountain, it was very early, and there where no cars in the parking area, I really gave this fantastic downhill everything I had, there where sections that I jumped, I stayed airborne so long, I could have read a newspaper whilst in the air!! At the bottom of Burnt Mountain, I picked up Little River again, and headed back to Cedar Rock for a fantastic climb on slick rock, and then at the top I flew down Big Rock, although by now I was slighty on edge, and was more careful not to crash into a human, a horse or a dog, or knowing my luck, all three at once!!

Safely down the bottom of Big Rock, I headed back to the Parking, 100% content!!

This figure of eight loop mentioned here is an absolute MUST!!, however, I have 2 mayor issues with it, the first, is that it is a bit short, I really believe that if you could somehow make this ride an extra hour longer, it would be in the same league as the notorious rides in places such as Moab and Bend.
My second big issue I have with this ride, is, and I admit a selfish one, but you seriously have to ditch hikers and horses!!.. this track can be way to busy to get the max out of it. I am a reasonable fella, so I suggest they allow hikers and horses on Tuesday morning before 8am!!.

On a serious note, this loop is extremely fast and fun, but Please be careful and never forget that we are sharing the trails with others.

My Trail Rating : 8.5 / 10