The Boogerman Trail

The Boogerman Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cherokee, NC that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Waterville, NC: Take the twisty SR 32 south approximately 10 - 12 miles to the Chataloochee Campground. The road will fork and you will want to bear right.

This was a great hike. It was more of an incline than we anticipated,but loved it. We went yesterday which was pretty much at its peak in fall and was simply beautiful. There was something very ominous that occurred after the first 2 miles..my wife and I both experienced a fast pulse in our heads that was the exact same beat 3 separate times in the same location in the back of our heads. I know this sounds strange,but it happened to both of us during 15 min of a section of the hike. So if this happens to you,it will pass! Interesting to say the least though . There were many signs of the early settlers which was great to experience throughout the hike. We did not see the burial sites though. Many river crossings that we had to ford through made the hike more interesting. We brought wet shoes since it's much easier to cross without slipping. I'm sure the water would of been much higher a few months back,but It was up to our knees this time around. The hike on all trails says its 7.5 miles but it's actually a little over 8 miles. We took extra breaks to enjoy the fall colors and of course the incline didn't help. Ha. I highly recommend this hike!

Beautiful area! We enjoyed the hike. Foot bridge was out so we crossed barefoot. Fun hike!

Rugged, hilly, and wet walk. Have to cross the river several places. Totally worth it and saw some gorgeous spots.

Many water crossing are still washed out. That made for an eventful hike because you cross multiple times.

Heads up: the "washed out" is no joke right now (March 2016). Park crews are building one new bridge to get over the water, but there are multiple washed out water crossings, and we were told the water is very high right now-- up to your torso in some places. We weren't able to access the trail head because of work crews, so we went back up the road to Cataloochee Divide Trail.

I'll post this on each of the three Boogerman trails listed on AllTrails.

Most important thing is multiple foot bridges were down and u have to walk in the water from ankle deep to just below waist. We took our boots off so we didn't have to hike with them wet. We didn't mind it cause it made the trail better. When you get to the trail head go left it's not challenging I would rate it easy but around half way if gets strenuously em easy again. My gps said it was 7.5 miles from the p-lot and back. There are multiple large trees and some views which are amazing. We saw a moose, snake, birds, multiple mushrooms and insects. We saw the stone walls but missed the cabin house. I'd recommend this trail but your going to get wet.

How can you resist a trail with a name like that? The trail is relatively well marked and has a few steep areas but mostly gentle slopes. Rich variety of trees and other plants. Didn’t see much wildlife but it was raining. It is a gentle rain but will soak you if you don’t have full GoreTex (which we do). Speaking of water, some of the human-made creek crossings are out but the creek is shallow easy to cross. The trail connects to others if you would like a longer hike.

It was the first time for me to walk on Great Smoky Mt. Nat'l Park. Actually we didn't have much information about this trail nothing abut a map. We loved to cross the creek. All the way trail we looked for Boogerman's house site and we failed and there was no summit to see view only just beautiful trees..We are beginners and I was afraid of apperacnce of black bears and they didn't appear luckily. We took almost 4 hours enjoying this trail.

Really enjoyed the hike. Couple of the crossing were washed out so we had to bare foot it across. I can tell you the water is cold :) Saw 5 bear cubs climbing down a tree. Great day in the woods.

A beautiful hike where you cross over many log bridges and can see original home sites. Parts of the trail was washed out heading south to the Messer Property. Parts of that in the same area had been bushwhacked. We saw three different bats an hour out from sundown and one of them was acting strangely. It flew directly at my husband many times over. Still, this is one of my favorite hikes.

Great fall colors, but not much of a panaromic view. Best part was driving into Cataloochee valley, I saw several Elks. The trail is moderate, can be done in 3 hours, old wood trees and nothing else.

good adventure...http://www.mattressland.co.uk/

Did this one evening. We started to late and it was after dark when we came out. Did have camping gear for the exercise but no permits. It was a good thing the trail was wider at the end and easyer to see.

Pros: Moderate hike with lots of stream crossings. Plenty of solitude and silence on my hike. Old growth trees and signs of first settlers were cool

Cons: one log bridge was out forcing us to find fallen tree to cross on. No vistas.

Overall good dayhike with plenty to enjoy.

Enjoyed this trip. One of the foot bridges was out when we hiked...but still a great day hike all around!

Some great old growth trees and you might see an Elk.