Black Mountain Crest Trail

Black Mountain Crest Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Burnsville, NC that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

10.9 miles 1758 feet Point to Point

The Black Mountain Crest Trail is a point to point trail starting at Bowlens Creek Road and Ending at the Mt Mitchell Summit parking area or vice versa. Some find it easiest to start from the top. The trail follows the Mt Mitchell Ridge for the first 7 miles, traversing the largest collection of 6,000 ft peaks in the Eastern US. From Celo Knob, the trail descends about 3500 feet to Bowlens Creek. A car shuttle or drop off is recommended and parking is available at both the Mt Mitchell and Bowlens Creek trailheads.

I read this was the hardest hike on the East Coast. Hiked this trail on Friday and it did not disappoint! Strenuous hike with breathtaking views. I was able to finish it in one day but it was a very long day. If I get the chance to hike it again I'd love to spend the night.

Challenging hike worthy enough to talk about over beers. Starting from Mt Mitchell State Park, you'll need to take the Deep Gap trail. Roughly a 3 hour hike to campsites (Deep Gap) if you're carrying anything more than a daypack. The first campsite has flat ground for tents and theres a nice rock formation just behind the first site that is a great place to hang a hammock and protect you from the wind. It's been stated before, but I want to reinforce that will need to bring extra water if you plan on going overnight.

We hiked this trail a week ago in mid-May and the temps were 49 degrees with a wind chill much colder. While overcast, it was dry and the trail did not disappoint. The sun even poked out a few times. Starting from the Summit parking area, we traveled the Deep Gap / Black Mountain Crest trail to Mt. Craig (6,647'), Big Tom (6,581'), Balsam Cone (6,596' - could not find an elevation marker on site), Cattail Peak (6,584') and Potato Hill (6,475'). Lots of ups and downs, a really good workout. A couple of places required some rock scrambling, two places provided ropes (not required). About a 7 mile total out and back and about an aggregate 1,700 ft. elevation gain. Some really spectacular views from the peaks if you stick your head out above the rhododendron canopy. Between Big Tom and Mt. Craig on the west side of the trail we found the wreckage from an airplane - a white and yellow air ambulance - I found an ancient newspaper article on it from 1966 - https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1665&dat=19660524&id=okMaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UCQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6508,4079078&hl=en - not sure it's the same plane. We really enjoyed the hike, only needed about a liter and a half of water, and completed it in 4 and a half hours with all the picture taking, snacking and exploring the plane wreckage. Highly recommend this ridge trail for advanced hikers, and anyone can do the Mt. Mitchell to Mt. Craig 1 mile out and 1 mile back if they can scramble over a couple of rocky areas. Enjoy!

Used the Colbert Ridge to get here. Fun trail with great views.

A friend and I made this hike in early april a few years ago. We started at Mt. Mitchell and came out on Bowlens Creek. It could be done in a day, but we took our time and stayed overnight. I recommend planning to stay over night because there are so many great overhangs with amazing views. Weather switches from clear to thick fog pretty much every mtn. you walk over. Bring plenty of water, there isnt any good water sources that I noticed until right at the end. I would say calling it difficult is accurate. But anyone who grew up in the Appalachians and spent much time in the woods should be fine. I look forward to making the hike in reverse before to long

Started at Bowlens Creek on Friday, ended at Mt. Mitchell on Sunday. Great trail, just bring plenty of water. Very rough but worthy very step.

Started at Bowles Creek Trailhead. Hard to find, the terminus is at the end of Water Shed which is marked with a "PVT" on the street sign. Two small parking spots off road but don't pass it as there is no turnaround between there and the end of the road, another 300-400 yards.

First 4 miles are sufficiently challenging but easy to keep moving forward as the peaks promise views and a nice pace across the numerous other mountains on the trail. As with a lot of lower Appalachians, thick canopies heading up and trees all the way up including the peaks which diminish the overall views.

Definitely a trail worth doing. Tackled it on a Friday, and only did 8 of the ~11 miles before daylight concerns had me turn around but didn't see one other hiker.

I did the trail from mt mitchell to colberts ridge and down to near Carolina hemlocks campground.
very rocky trail down from deep gap.saw no one 2 miles out.

Did the hike from Bowlens Creek up to Mount Mitchell. Very strenuous and not for beginners, obviously. I went during a weekday and didn't see another soul until I was about 3 miles from Mount Mitchell. I had nothing but thick fog for the first half of the hike unfortunately so I didn't get any nice at views but I got my share on the second half. It took me about 7 hours total to complete the hike one way. Mileage was closer to 12 than 10.5.

Great views, although very strenuous.

Some friends and I hiked the trail last week and we agreed it was extremely strenuous. We started from Bolwens Creek and hiked to Mt. Mitchell and back to Bowlens Creek. The trail was much more steep and technical than expected. The elevation gain from Bowlens Creek parking to Celo Knob was especially tough! Overall, the hike is brutal, but the views are breathtaking.

Strenuous and slow,technical but beautiful views.

Started at Bowlens Creek and went up to Mitchell and back. Stayed the night on the north side of Winter Star Mt. Great trail. Incredibly strenuous trail, a couple sections of scrambling, and constant elevation change. Going from creek to summit & back is very rewarding but probably not the best option for everyone. It is just as difficult as advertised but one of the best trails I've done,

I did the portion of the trail (mostly) within Mt. Mitchell State Park, beginning at the Mt. Mitchel parking area, lower lot, to Cattail Peak and back. You will summit four peaks over 6500 feet on this six mile out-and-back. Be prepared for continual ups-and-downs with challenging climbs. A few short and especially steep sections have ropes bolted to rock faces. These are absolutely necessary. You are treated to great views of the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains, if the weather is clear. No civilization in sight. I want to come back and do a three-nighter on this trail soon, pushing into the national forest. Did the six miles in 3:15, not including breaks.

A soft walking trail. Love the green grassy places under foot. A Hobbit's world with green lush texture in all settings. Tunnels to Eden. My only trail in USA compared to New Zealand's wonder-lust wilderness.
Never once wanted to leave. But for old knees.
Maybe. Just maybe, I'll return for a trice.
Great companions. Great food. Gifted solitude.

Intense trail after passing Deep Gap. Hiked during the summer when the blackberry bushes were extra thorny! Ouch! Incredible views, meadows, and wild flowers. Encountered a grouse with cheepers. :)

This is a really tough trail with amazing views. If you are hiking from Bowlens Creek Road all the way to Mt. Mitchell, I would give it a couple days and camp overnight if you are not an expert trekker. It is not the length that will get you, but the terrain. There are steep, rocky climbs and tough hills that go straight up in places. However, you are rewarded with extraordinary views, awesome wildlife photos and just an overwhelming sense of peace. Hubby packs an REI self inflating mat, since there is no place to camp without a few rocks beneath the tent.

Googled "hardest trail east of the mississippi" and apparently this one is it. Did a winter hike from bowlens creek to the summit then crossed the ridge back to bowlens creek. So essentially did it twice. Excellent trail. Definitely a knee knocker. Plenty of elevation change to wear you out. Not as many rock scrambles as I expected. Be careful of the weather, sometimes it changes pretty rapidly and getting stuck out there during it becomes quite the adventure. If there is no snow of the ground, be sure to bring plenty of water. Some of the best views you will ever see closer to the east coast. Plenty of solitude later in the colder months.