Big Lost Cove Cliffs Trail

Big Lost Cove Cliffs Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newland, NC that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from March until October.

Some pretty good washouts but some fantastic scenery awaits anyone taking this trail. Pretty crazy to see a couple horses back there!

Easy to moderate hike with a nice view at the top end.

This is my favorite trail so far. Not only are the views amazing, but you will more than likely not encounter people. The trail is hidden on a dirt road that has a few spots for parking. It's a bit rugged, the rain has washed out a good portion of the trail. It's a forested trail until you get to a clear opening revealing the view of the mountains. Also, be cautious of rattlesnakes. Did not come across any myself, but came across a guy studying them on one of the cliffs.

great trail and not crowded at all due to remote locale that not a lot of people know about. fantastic view at the end.

This is one of my favorite trails. Although it's gotten harder grouch out the years. We took our 3.5 year old and she did pretty good. The beginning is really washed out and a bit steep but it's fairly short. A lot of the trail is narrow as well. Could use a clean out. The views at the end are breathtaking. When I close my eyes and go to my "happy place" it has always been there. A hike I've been doing since I was being carried in a pack. 30 years later sharing it with my family was special.

The trail is steep uphill, then steep downhill to the cliffs with one easy and fairly level mid section. The steep parts are washed out like ditches making the trail a little difficult here and there. Great views down in the cove with Grandfather Mountain in the background. Plenty of space on the rocks for a break and to take in the views. Well worth the effort!

Trail was pretty hard and was muddy the day we went. But WOW at the view once you reach the top

Beautiful views of Grandfather Mountain from large rock formations. Saw a Peregrine Falcon! Fall views were so colorful. Easy hike in and out.

Great views, great to add this trail if your jumping from trail to trail as it can be done quickly depending on endurance and skull level. I prefer this hike in the fall/ winter months for the views alone!