Backside Trail at Crowders Mountain

Backside Trail at Crowders Mountain is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gastonia, NC that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 hour ago

Fun trail. Got the heart rate up a bit on the way up and was relaxing on the way back down. Excellent view at the top.

Great workout trail.... at the end and toward the top, there are a lot of steps (336 wood steps). The views are fantastic! It's peak color so will be very pretty this weekend.

Absolutely loved it worth every step

My go-to trail when I need a quick escape from Charlotte.

Really strenuous hike to the top of Crowders mountain but great views you can see Charlotte downtown Skyline on a clear day, bring plenty of water and

Decent trail, but too crowded for my taste.

Great trail. Non stop from start to finish quickest was 59 minutes and the steps demolish you at the end. I hike this at least once a week.

I really like this trail it isn't that log but still a good work out in my opinion. Great view at the top well worth it!!!

rock climbing

View at the top is incredible but if you are looking for a pretty walk up this is not the crowders trail you want. This trail is entirely gravel and just straight up, kinda boring and dull. Wonderful for a leg workout.

I've hiked this at least 7 times over a 30 year period. It's more difficult than when I first hiked it in 1985 at 34 yrs old and now l'm 68, but I still love it. The views are incredible in the fall, especially. I've taken my four kids when they were ages 4 to 14, but probably carried the youngest at times; plus watched them very carefully at the top. My son was 6 on our first climb and he's hiked it more than me now. He lives in San Clemente, California and loves to surf, but when he comes home to visit sometimes we take another hike to the top or he goes with old friends.

Short, but gets your heart and lungs working and the views at the top are grand.

The stairs are only about a 1/4 of the trail. Going down them was easy.

A confusing part of the trail is when coming from Tower Trail and not knowing the trail goes right next to and past the tower. It needs some markers in the area.

Not that difficult, but fun as a day outside :)

This is a road not a trail. It is used for maintenance and rescue operations up to the top of Crowder's Mountain. Why maintenance you ask? There are a few TV and radio towers up top. This is a good hike for large groups of people who want to stay together.

A good, challenging running trail.