Babel Tower Trail

Babel Tower Trail is a 2.4 mile out and back trail located near Marion, NC that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Scenic Views, Wildflowers, Rugged Beauty Ok this is one for the tough, and this is probably one of the easiest trails in the Gorge. The climb from the river back to your car is intense, and you will think you have hiked 10 miles before you get there. In the spring Wild flowers grow at trailside, and the views of the river at the tower are breath taking, you are standing on a ledge with about 400 Ft. of air between you and the river. Don't miss continuing down the trail to the river you might see a Brown Trout of better than 36 inches there, to say nothing of its rugged beauty. Crossing the river is not recommended here. When you get back to your car, go the extra mile down SR-1238 to Wisemans View, The views of the Gorge, Hawksbill Rock, and Table Rock are outstanding there. Its only a short easy walk down to the viewing platforms.

great trail. The view at the end is well worth it.

This trail can be deceiving because going in is very easy. Getting it is all elevation gain. The view from the tower is nice and there is a great view half way down the trail.

One of my favorite hikes in NC, we did it in about 2 hours. If you try to climb up on the babel tower itself, it is very difficult and requires a bit of climbing.

Tough hike but worth the views! The hike back up is strenuous so make sure you have plenty of water.

The trail to the top is obvious though NO blazes.
If you try to go to the bottom to see the falls good luck bc we couldn't find it...there is a very primitive trail which is extremely strenuous but fun.. We were on all fours climbing out...the views from top were amazing. Took 1.5 hours to top less than hour back out but kept a very brisk pace
To us it was easier coming out bc you didn't have to worry as much about your footing.
I only regret not seeing falls.

Beautiful scenery and a great workout!

Great hike. Took my teenage daughter and two friends we all loved it. At 1.3 miles you hit Babel Tower. Hike around the back side then climb to the top for incredible views of the gorge. It is a tough hike out from the bottom, but worth it.

Beautiful overlooks, steep climb out of the gorge back up the mountain.

An awesome exhilarating hike down to the gorge and out will provide a perfect sunny day workout.

This is a tough trail coming back up but it is more than worth the views.

This was a great hike! This trek out of the Gorge was challenging but exactly what we were looking for. There was very little traffic on the trail, we passed a group or two and some campers but that was about it. Take a snack to enjoy down by the water, you'll need the energy when hiking back out.

geocaching

Beautiful trail, great views up and down river from the top of the tower. Hiked down to the river also. Not a hard as I was expecting, which isn't a bad thing.

Went with this trail my first time backpacking. I wouldn't say it was a mistake, but holy shit was that hard. The hike down was tough but what I expected. Hooked a right onto the Linville Gorge Trail and went no less than half a mile before we found a beautiful spot to camp right on the river. The hike back up was one of the most brutal experiences I've ever been through. Being completely new to backpacking, I overpacked for the two-night trip like crazy, plus had my dog with me (who had a much easier time than I did).

Despite the unexpected challenge, my girlfriend and I absolutely loved it. The views, the river, the Blue Ridge Parkway, it was all totally worth it!

Loved it! Make sure to take a hiking poles or stick trail will get rough especially as you turn to go down to the river! Depending on the time of year you may want to take somthing to mark the trail. I will be hiking this trail again!

First time hiking in North Carolina. Rocky trail in beginning was ok but eventually needed a walking stick. My friend Joe who helped me big time on the trail had to make me a walking stick. Wear hiking boots and bring water. The trail towards the river progressively gets steeper. Be prepared for the slippery roots and ground. Our goal was to reach the river. The view there was worth the effort.

Wonderfully challenging hike! Still a little icy in spots, but very well maintained trail. Towards the end of the trail, you may take a right onto the Linville Gorge Trail, which leads you to several excellent camp sites by the river. My 2 wheel drive Volvo station wagon successfully made it to the trail-head, but it wasn't easy. The road was very muddy, and steep. If you have a 4wd, you will be just fine. This is a difficult hike, so don't bring any newbies! But for those regular backpackers, you will feel like you earned your camping spot.

Great view of gorge and camping along the river.

BEAUTIFUL, easy hike.