AT Deep Gap to Dicks Creek

AT Deep Gap to Dicks Creek is a 19.3 mile point-to-point trail located near Hayesville, NC. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

19.3 miles 5268 feet Point to Point

This is a great trip to take the wife and kids (or dogs in my case) on. For starters, I think you have to hike up Standing Indian mountain before turning back towards Georgia. I know this isn't included in this trail, but the view is DEFINITELY worth it. We arrived at Deep Gap parking lot around 4pm, which gave us just about 2 hours to hike up Standing Indian Mountain and setup camp for the night. We made it up the 2 mile trek to the top in about 1 hour and 30 minutes (it could easily be done in under an hour). The hike to the top is great for the not-so-in-shape folks, lots of switchbacks. Since it was the day before Thanksgiving, we had the mountain to ourselves so we setup camp at the VERY top and had an amazing view of the sunset. Plus, there is a nice patch of grass to put your tent on.

The next morning we started back towards Georgia. We took our time since it was my wife's first time and we wanted to enjoy the scenery. The section from Deep Gap to Bly Gap was moderately difficult, but the worst part was the lack of good water sources. Once you make it to Bly Gap you'll have good water resources from there to Dicks Creek. Bly Gap to Dicks Creek was easy to moderate.