Art Loeb Trail

Art Loeb Trail is a 17.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canton, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Open hike over balds, with multiple 360 degree views for miles.... The portion of the Art Loeb Trail is most spectacular. Black Balsam and Tennant Mountains both exceed 6,000 feet in elevation. The balds provide fantastic 360* views all around, and everywhere else is just about 180* views. Fantastic! The trail I've outlined in the TPO is a figure-8 loop, keeping to the Art Loeb trail in portions, taking an old forest-service road in others.This way you get the combined beauty of the Art Loeb trail with a mixture of wooded-views from the service-road (avoiding redundant stuff that comes with out-and-back hikes). Be wary of spring/summer storms on those balds!!!!

7 minutes ago

Great hike to Shining Rock from Blue Ridge Pkwy over Black Balsam Knob and camped on a bald before Shining Rock.

Completed a small part of this trail; round trip was around 5 miles. Make sure to wear sunscreen because once you get to the top you are pretty much exposed. Once you get to the top you have 360 degree views of the mountains. Some parts were a bit rocky and narrow so you will get scuffed up by the brush. We took our lab with us and there were several other hikers out with their dogs.

Best 3 day 2 night backpacking trail in Pisgah. Great scenic views as you climb. Must do if you like to backpack and hike more than just a few miles!

Great trail and very demanding. watch out for Pilot Mountain no matter which direction you're headed. can be done in 2 full days, especially if you cut out cold mountain but that was my favorite peak so dont miss it! recommend 3 days if you wanna soak it all in!

****Update as I can't edit my last review. Came to camp here 2 nights ago. Set up a site at the Shining Rock Junction where Art Loeb, Ivestor, Shining Creek, & Old Butt Knob come together.

There is a massive nuisance bear making his rounds at Shining Rock.

I was approached at camp in broad DAYLIGHT. He walked up 10 feet behind me- he was not aggressive, but he nonchalantly kicked my partner and I out of our camp, dragged my backpack through some bushes beyond the site, and then proceeded to harass our neighbors a few hundred feet over. 8 of us could NOT scare this guy away and he continued to casually walk away and then come back. He is NOT afraid and is associating backpacks with food, as a couple staying at our site the previous night had the same thing happen to them. (We had spoken to them on their way out- didn't realize it was the same campsite until I found the remnants of her pack where the bear dragged mine. And yes I had to pack her things out, so for f***s sake please pack your trash out). He continued to show up at our campsite unafraid and the 8 of us finally just packed up and left.

BEWARE. Don't forget your bear spray (like I did). And happy camping.