Zim Smith Pedestrian Trail

Zim Smith Pedestrian Trail is a 20.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ballston Spa, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, horses, road biking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Hiked the Zim Smith Trail today. Started at 11:00am on the dot at the end of Oak Road in Ballston Spa. It was very warm today, very wet and sloshy the whole way. The trail is nice and very wide open. You will hear the road the whole time. It is very close. You'll pass by Curtis Lumber, Stewarts and then even the Northway on into the morning church hustle of Round Lake on a Sunday. It's an active trail and saw many people on the trail. It seems people congregate in certain areas on this trail and don't roam too far from their respective parking lots. This trail connects all kinds of other little parks and areas along the way. No one really seems to be tackling the entire trail though. Another thing I noticed is no one wears proper footwear. Large postholing & bare booters everywhere. Did notice some snowshoe tracks that made me smile. People down this way don't have the same respect that north country hikers are accustomed to. I had read that this was a 9 mile one way hike. Much to my surprise I arrived in Round Lake at Leah's Cakery parking lot at 1:00pm exactly. I guess the trail continues on down past and into Clifton Park for a few miles. I did a clock in the car roughly on my way back home. Im figuring from Oak St to Round Lake is around 6.5-7 miles. This trail is flat as flat can be. Not once did I have to stop to catch my breath. If you happen to need to do that, there are many benches along the way. Not overly scenic but everything is more beautiful in the winter. Didn't see the Indian Guy carving which was somewhat dissappointing but i'll live. Decent walk, would possibly do again.

The trail was a sheet of ice but we walked along the side. It's nice when no one is on the trail. Peaceful and quiet.