Whetstone Gulf Trail

Whetstone Gulf Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Martinsburg, NY that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy hiking in the rain Oct.30.2016.alot of the trail was a washout,but was well marked.

Overall worth the hike. I'd rate it slightly harder than easy because of the rapid elevation increase at the beginning. Once it levels off then your good to go with the only exception being the many roots especially along the North Trail. Trail is well marked. Would have liked to seen a few more unobstructed views but still worth the time.

Great hike, one part of the North trail loomed to be washed out and unmarked if you're hiking from the south to the north, other than that it was good.

I agree with those who rate this trail as moderate. There are some steeper sections which, although not super challenging, are not what I would classify as easy.

Definitely start with the north trail and end on the south. I cannot imagine coming down on the north trail side.. it is so steep near the end. It's worth it to just knock it out initially. There are many side trails where people have gone right up the edge to get a better look at the vistas. It's worth seeing those. Also there is a lookout point off of the South trail that merits a gander. :)

I'm not sure I would bring my younger children on this ...as most of the path rims the gorge. There are also a lot of exposed roots which I feel my kids would be tripping over a lot.

Beautiful little park though and the views were amazing.

Good fun. On a late July Friday, we had the north rim to ourselves and only met others on the south rim as we approached the public swimming area near the terminus. Despite the hyperbole of the many signs, the trail isn't dangerous in dry conditions if you use appropriate caution when approaching edges. It is probably best to skip this one when hiking with dogs, or small children, who do not listen.

it says easy but let me tell you that I would say this trail is moderate. I wouldn't bring small children to this trail. a good workout, nice views.

Great views. Went early spring and there were several wet spots along the trail.

My 2 kids and I did the south rim trail. It had a steep beginning but was pretty easy after that. Do the spur to the lookout, nice spot to stop for a small water break.

Great area for snowshoeing!

Love this trail, at the half way point there is an area at the top of a waterfall you can climb down and look at.

Wonderful experience on a great day, just be sure that If you bring a dog you have proof of their rabies inoculation or they will not be permitted to enter. Entrance to the trails also stops after 3PM, but thankfully we were permitted to enter.

Trail open and well marked. Nice mix of climbing and level ground. Trail was fairly busy.

Great hike. Definitely start on the north trail & come back on the south trail. Beginning ascent is steep but then levels off. Took us three hours with two dogs and a lunch break.

A challenging initial climb gives way to stunning views of the gorge and river below, and windmills if you head off the trail near the plateau. Pick raspberries at the turnaround, and good sources of water for dogs