Vernooy Falls Trail

Vernooy Falls Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kerhonkson, NY that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Great trail, please use proper foot gear, we had the trail all to ourselves, wonderful pictures

We enjoyed the walk on a day when the sun was playing peek-a-boo with the clouds and the clouds mostly won. On an August Thursday we did not encounter another person. The trail is well marked with blue and some red medallions, but there is a glitch: The trail listed by alltrails.com is not the only one to the falls. On our return, we let our feet follow the broad gravel path without watching, and before we knew it we were totally lost and our smart phones could not reach a tower and we were at the end of the wrong gravel road beside a stop sign we had not seen. By the Grace of the Divine another lost visitor was driving up that gravel road in a pickup truck and together we drove a long way before we found upper Cherrytown Rd. After studying the map it appears we got onto the Long Trail, though I still can't figure out how we returned. My only advice is leave a track of crumbs or watch your compass and make sure you are returning by walking West and not North.

Walked up from upper cherrytown road. Says 1.8 but it's a little over 2 miles to waterfalls. Uphill for about 3/4 of a mile. Got to the waterfalls and hiked Greenville loop. North loops says 5.8 but it's longer. Brings you out to dymond rd. Gotta walk down road to get to south loop which is longer than the 2 miles it says. My 12 mile hike took about 5 hours. Bring a lot of water. Watch your feet because we ran into a baby copperhead. Followed the orange path aka snowmobile trail.

The first two times I was at this trail I mistook the Mombaccus Creek for Vernooy Kill and was disappointed. I realized my mistake and yesterday I took my wife all the way to Vernooy Kill. Park in the lot on Upper Cherry Plain Rd. There is another lot farther west but it's a dirt road with deep ruts. This trail is wide and we'll marked. It starts out flat, then a steady incline after Mobaccus Creek and vey rocky with muddy parts. I didn't find it hard but it was a bit difficult for my wife. The trail levels off after a while. The falls are beautiful wide, 3 or 4 ten foot high falls over hard rock, like a staircase and a wooden bridge over a chasm and an old stone wall, perhaps part of a mill. Lots of trillium, violets, mayflowers, and songbirds such as vireos and wood thrush.

Nice quick hike.

Completed 4/17/2016. Went on a 70 degree spring day. A short in/out hike with a beautiful waterfall at the top. Took our group 47 min each way at moderate walking pace. Small rocky incline to navigate along the path, a few muddy pools and one stream across the way to log-hop thanks to being early in the season. Great, easy, season-opener. Only regret was that it wasn't longer!

We've been there several times, a nice uphill walk to a beautiful waterfall. Mostly have had run-ins with other hikers who have been very nice.
Our dogs love running around in and out of the water. Perfect for a picnic on a nice day.

I wouldn't use it for a swim spot, and we've only seen one local who looked a little backwoodsy, but didn't bother with us. We do carry though, so we're not terribly afraid of an oddball.

One of the photos we've taken was so nice we've poster sized it and hang it in our hot tub room. Great spot for photographs.

We would just like an easier way to find access to the other trails from outside. By the time we've hit the waterfalls, we're usually don't with exploring and ready to head back downhill after the water.

DONT GO HERE!! Locals don't want people here so they will tell you it doesn't exist, And they will be super rude about it. Horrable experience. Drove and hour and a half to be told to turn around.

Very scenic drive. Nice and secluded. Drive down a dirt road to park near a stop sign and gate. Walk down the trail behind the gate and it brings you to the falls. I went with some friends to go swim, but when we got there, there was a rather large group of Mennonites. They were swimming in the spot but they started fishing when we tried to go in! With no regard for us possibly getting hooked!!!!Drove 2 hours only to get vibed out. MAJOR BUMMER. Saw a couple guys coming down the trail On our way out and we told them about the Mennonites and the guys said that is not the first time that's happened. Luckily there are plenty of other swimming holes in the area. If you get lucky, it's a cool swimming hole. Good luck to you. I most likely won't ever go back though.

Beautiful spot...bring lunch and enjoy!!!