Twin Lakes Trail

DIFFICULTY 1 reviews

Twin Lakes Trail is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Forestport, NY. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

My son and I hiked this in early April after a few days of rainy weather. It is definitely a hike you want to wear waterproof hiking boots on. The trail is very wide and easy to follow. It is a great beginner trail. Towards the end, it gets a little unkempt, but easy still. It is a quiet trail as it is mostly used by snowmobilers in the winter. I would not go on this trail between mid May and mid August because there must be an unholy amount of flies up there during the summer. You will pass numerous swamps and marshes when you come down the 4 hills you traverse during the trek. The lake is also surrounded with marsh. We never went to the actual lakes because it was simply too damp and the weather was due to turn real bad so we only had an hour to hang out there. The outlet is very big though and the dam is a nice spot to stop and rest.

We fished there for some time with worms and lures to no avail. Saw plenty of beaver sign. There is an old dam that is no longer in service that is a wonder to look at. We saw all types of animal dung on this hike but unfortunately the one we came across the most was ahole dung. People have littered in there a little, so we spent some time picking up various coffee cups, beer cans, etc.. Fortunately the closer to get to the lakes you get, the less human evidence you find.

This was a great hike and I would recommend it for getting in shape for longer, harder hikes. Great for people not overly experienced in hiking in the woods because the trail is so wide. It would be difficult to get lost in there, but if you ever did, just head due West. You will either run into the Black River or the trail.