Thunder Swamp Trail

Thunder Swamp Trail is a 36 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Forestburgh, NY that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October.

First section was great! However, after backtracking to the second section it gets really tough. Trail is not maintained at all, climbing over logs constantly with my 40 pound pack took a lot of extra energy. Also only passed 2 maybe 3 camp spots the whole second section. I wouldn't recommend this trail to anyone . Maybe for a day hike to the first section and back

This was a great trail. My first hiking/Camping trip. We didn't make it to the bottom loop but still found some great spots to set up camp. I will definitely return to finish this whole loop now that I have more experience.

loved the trail, had some great camp sites and very well blazed. ran in to a 8' rattle snake at the power lines next to the bridge in the logs, scared the crap out of me, but very beautiful. had some really nice views and some big inclines and decents on the back half of the hike. did the trail in 3 days, didnt get to see big bear swamp but def gonna hit the trail again.

This trail is NOT located in Forestburg, NY. A google search places it somewhere in PA..

This trail starts out extremely well marked and maintained. As you hike, the trail becomes less and less maintained and blazed to the point you may as well be bushwhacking. We went in early spring and probably picked off 20-30 ticks per person per day, so be prepared.

On the positive side, there was a lot of wildlife and some decent camping spots. I would definitely stop off at the lake off of painter swamp Rd. Great campsites and views. Didn't see a single other person during the hike except for a hunter less than 1 mile in. Great if you're looking for solitude and to get a little lost! Would be 5 stars if better maintained!