Tanglewood Nature Center - Personius Woods

Tanglewood Nature Center - Personius Woods is a 1.3 mile loop trail located near Elmira, NY that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from December until February.

Tanglewood Nature Center is a not-for-profit nature center with two trail systems in Elmira, NY. The Center offers over 10 miles of trails, more than 40 animals to visit in the Nature Center, and programming that reaches more than 17,500 children each year.

Tanglewood Nature Preserve is beautiful and full of surprises. Good hike and we enjoyed seeing the birds and touring the museum. We will be returning frequently.

Great views, well kept, nice kids area and indoors museum-type area.

Update: I made it back to check out the overlook and I would not take little kids out there. The overlook is surrounded by "dangerous cliffs!" It was a beautiful hike though and I saw seven deer.

My husband, three year old and I went out to check out the museum and trail. The museum is pretty cool and my husband's favorite thing about it that he remembers from when he was little was the bees. We didn't pay close enough enough attention and decided to take the interesting Mark Twain trail out to the scenic overlook. Not a smart idea with a little one. We ended up heading back up a different trail so I'll have to go back to check out the overlook. I love this please though and especially because it's so close. I'll definitely be going back here a lot! I would say this place is very kid friendly but just not the red Mark Twain trail! Also, no dogs allowed!

Several trail loops over nature preserve and TNC property with varying slopes and forest cover types. One leads to an excellent view of the Chemung river valley atop steep bluffs. Trails are well marked and nature center at the base has some excellent nature displays.