Table Top Mountain via Van Hoevenberg Trail

Table Top Mountain via Van Hoevenberg Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, NY that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Table Top Mountain is the 19th highest mountain in New York State, with an elevation 4,427 ft. This is a straightforward climb up Table Top from the Adirondack Loj at Heart Lake. You will follow the Von Hoevenberg trail to just before Indian Falls and then head off on a herd path up to the wooded summit with limited views. If you have the energy on the way out you can always tag on Phelps Mountain as well making this a two 46er peak hike and eliminating the need to climb Phelps on another day.

This was I agree a difficult trail coming from a novice hiker 59 year old in average to maybe above average physical condition. This was my first high peak climb of the adirondacks and first major hike of the year. I am not a water drinker but needed all five 16oz water bottles to make it round trip. Started at 8am at LOJ trailhead and arrived back at 4pm under misty cloudy skies and 60 degree temp. Spend 30 minutes on top of the mountain. Some posting say they can do Mt. Marcy round trip in that time but they must be in awfully good shape and hike regularly to make that claim. The trail is rocky to say the least and most of the time is spent walking up a dried up stream bed. Thankfully all the rocks are firm being exposed portions of much larger boulders under so your footing good generally speaking. Even with wet surfaces the vibram shoe soles seemed to grim pretty well to the surfaces of the rocks. Any loose rock would have already been churned up and pushed out by the flood of hikers using the route throughout the year so in that regard I am thankful for the heavy use of the trail. When it becomes interesting is when you leave the main Mt. Marcy trail and head up the table top trail. It is unmarked but pretty much a no-brainer to just follow the narrow winding stream bed up to the top. Very cool trail i must say. We picked a bad day to climb being near zero visibility which is why I couldn't give it a 5th star. It was nice to get off the main Mt. Marcy trail.

We hiked Phelps and Tabletop together. Very obvious trail even though it is not maintained.

This isn't a bad unmaintained trail. The trail is well defined but once you get closer to the summit it becomes very muddy in spots. I was surprised to see that this trail was pretty busy today.

Nice trail. Less traffic once you get off the trail to Marcy. We must have passed 200 people going in today. Great hike!!

I really enjoyed this hike. I hiked tabletop the same day as phelps. It is not as steep as phelps despite being higher. This was my first unmarked trail but the trail is pretty obvious (at least to me). Expect mud, roots and loose trees. The summit is wooded and there's little views but it was a very nice hike even if you're not an aspiring 46er.

Quick hike today from the ADK Lodge. It was an easy to follow trail. Just head towards Mt Marcy. When you see the turn off for Indian Falls, just go straight and you'll see the sign for Tabletop. It was about 45 minute hike from that point. However, today was wet and muddy. You have to follow a stream all the way up. And once on the summit it is about 15 minutes of walking till you reach the Tabletop sign and a great view of Marcy. Took us 7 hours to complete it. Very nice hike.

Not bad a little rocky and muddy. But a nice quick easy 1/2 day trail.

Fantastic hike! At 4427', the 10.6 round trip hike to Tabletop (ADK peak #19) was our sons first winter high peak. It was 20 degrees and heavy snow at parking with a forecast to drop throughout the day down to 5 degrees by 4pm so we started out our day at the TH at 9:30 with plans to hike Tabletop and if we had time we would also do Phelps on the way out. We took our time and enjoyed our hike in and up to the summit and had enough time to easily make it out in the daylight but we decided not to push it and come back for Phelps later. The sun broke through for a few moments on the way out to let us know this was the right choice for the day.

Really cool views through the trees, although this is a "full day" hike, it really is not, I left at 9:00 from the trailhead and returned at noon, stopping frequently to take pictures of wildlife and views and to relax by indian falls. Definetly if you are trying to get your 46 it is much better to take his advice and just go up phelps afterwards. on a good day, the views are amazing. Great review!