Stone Valley Trail

Stone Valley Trail is a 7.2 mile out and back trail located near Potsdam, NY that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

whitewater kayaking

Gorgeous trail! So many waterfalls, and it was so well marked. We did the trail end to end, and it took us 3.5 hrs. (that included stopping to take pictures)

I never found any of the falls that are pictured on here. trail wasn't marked...I need up in someone's driveway and walk on tbe road back to car. good excercise...but trail needs work...I was disapointed

The falls are beautiful and offer some good bouldering spots when the water is low. Absolutely gorgeous

Terrific day hike! Excellent views of the river and relaxing hike through the woods.

Great trail. Lots of ups and downs, well maintained. Nice spots to stop and admire the view.

Completed a portion of this trail today. Like some of the other commenters the trail head is not very well marked, luckily I had read these comments before we went so I was watching closely but even then we drove past and had to turn back.

Trails are great for the whole family, we went with four kids aged from 4-9 and didn't have any concerns. Some trail turns could use a bit better marking but overall really great place and can't wait to go back and explore some more.

Made the full loop. Beautiful.

Fantastic hike that fit well into our limited time constraints.
We didn't have a lot of time for a hike today, so we decided to just go as far as we had time for and turn around. We lucked out and got an absolutely beautiful autumn day. The river, falls and foliage were all spectacular. The entire family agreed this was well worth the visit, and we wished we had more time.
We parked on Riverside Drive in Colton (just a little north and across the river from the intersection of 68 and 56) near the fire station. There is a small parking lot at the turn-around at the end of the street, but it was pretty full when we got there. This is the southern starting point for the trails on the eastern side of the river. Using a PDF map of Stone Valley from Potsdam.edu, which had numbered points of interest, we hiked almost to #5 (High Terrace) before turning around.
The trail was well marked with signs that gave a little information about the river and also showed you where you were along the trail. This was especially helpful to us since we had limited time and wanted to make the most of it.
A great hike that allowed us to get out and enjoy the scenery without a large time commitment.

Trail was awesome! I gave it a 4 only because it was difficult to find. The trail head was not well marked and the registration points were into the trail a bit. Once you find it, you've got a real gem. I suggest going in from the Lenny road entrance and if you are doing the loop, it is a bit confusing at the end - which is the power house- there are 3 ways to go, just take the road out. This is not well marked at all .. Had to use google earth to get out :/. Overall it's an AWESOME trail !! Great views , some up and downs but nothing terrible. Great easy hike. Would be awesome for mountain biking or trail running !!!!

Beautiful trail!

Beautiful trail - great for a beginning hiker and lots of great photo ops for the photography enthusiast.

One of my favorite trails ever. The falls are spectacular and the trail is a nice combination of up and down hill. If this trail were in Rocky Mountain National Park you would have a parking lot, an overflow lot and a park and ride to get to the parking lot. it would be ridiculously crowed. In Colton NY however, we were the only ones on the trail. Magical.

My boys and I had an amazing hike on August 15, 2013. It was our 2nd hike of the week and I think they are hooked.

Great trail for children, beautiful river views, very peaceful. We started in Hannawa and hiked down to the dams and pipelines which my grandfather (now 92) actually helped weld together. He loved looking at the pictures and reminiscing about his work...and by the way, if you notice a dripping spot, he said that wasn't one he welded;)
On that end there is also a really cool spot on the river loaded with flat stones where the kids can catch crawfish and you can take some fabulous photos=)

My wife and I took my 9yrd old son and niece up to lucy's hole/the gut.... was a beautiful trip had nice shade on trail but great openings for pictures and breaks.... Cant wait to go back!!!...Update!!! Went back and did the west side bank was easier then the east....posted some of the pics.... gps for west parking/entry 44 33.243N 74 56.320W <<

One of the most beautiful trails we have done. The Raquette River is just stunning at every turn! We did the entire loop, with some steep inclines at points, but overall a moderate hike. We will hike this trail again!

Awesome peaceful pines along an approximately 3 miles of roaring whitewater rapids! Yesterday, 8/21/10, we had the opportunity to witness four well-versed whitewater kayakers experience the thrill & excitement of paddling these rapids. The trail path is for the most part carpeted w/pine needles, w/endless beautiful kodak opportunities for the scenic, portrait and macro photography lovers alike. Although the length of the trail is only approx. 3 miles, climbing the three eskers along this trail can prove to be a good work-out! I prefer to take my time and absorb the peace and powerful force of nature witnessed in these rapids. This is only my 2nd time on this trail; yet, I can foresee frequenting this awesome playground!