Stissing Mountain Trail

Stissing Mountain Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pine Plains, NY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until October.

Brutal incline to the left. This is a challenging short hike.

This short steep trail leads to a fire tower with an incredible view. It is well worth any trouble it takes to get there. Check out my full write up which includes things to look out for.

It is a moderate to hard trail. Most of the trail is on a incline and on rocks. I usually hike with a walking stick and good things when I did this one I brought mine. But if you do forget yours or do not usually use one, I recommend grabbing one at the mouth of the trail.

A fantastic hike surround by 2 lakes. . The fire tower seems to be larger than the 'typical fire tower' Saw a water moccasin during the trek up. A great hike with a great view. Parking is easy. trail was well kept

I hiked Stissing Mountain last weekend. It was late in the day. The two lakes nearby are beautiful: Stissing and Thompson Lake. You can hike around them too which I may try another time. Parking is small and I saw smashed window glass so it may not be that safe.

The hike is short but relatively and constantly steep. The forest is deep and you get a nice internal view beneath the canopy. The trail was spotless and there was no one else on it at the time.

There is no outward view of the surrounding area until you get to the summit. There is a very tall fire tower on the summit. The 360 degree view from the top is sensational.

Bring mosquito repellent. I went down the way I came because it was late and although the trail is clear in daylight it was getting late, there are only trail blazes at forks in the trail. That being said, the trail is simple and it is doubtful you could get lost.

Had this mountain on my list for over a year now. Finally glad to be able to do it on such a nice day! Views of this taller than average tower were something else! Steep trail, but worth it at the top!

Not a favorite hike. Ugly trail and strenuous but views from the fire tower were nice. Would only do once. So many other beautiful hikes I'd rather do.

A great trail especially in the fall (OCT-peak leaf season). I've never really had issues with other hikers...as in I've never really seen any other hikers.
FYI:The trail head isn't well marked.
The Fire Tower is an added bonus at the summit. There are usually Red Tailed Hawks,Turkey and Black Vultures soaring above and below the summit
I've hiked here several times and plan to take my kids soon. After the hike I recommend a cold Sam Adams and burger at the Stssing Mtn. Inn located in Pine Plains. Millbrook, NY (South on Rt 82) is also a great town to visit.

Well I didn't take the trail up OR down. We bushwhacked up until we hit the trail .2 miles from the top. And we decided not to take the trail down because there were so many people. But the view from the fire tower (HUGE fire tower) was beautiful. The summit under the fire tower is tree covered, but magical! The trail is covered in moss. I took off my sneakers.