Stissing Mountain Trail

Stissing Mountain Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pine Plains, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Pretty easy hike up to the fire tower, a little steep at certain points but all in all pretty moderate . It was very cloudy when I went so I didn't get too much of a view . The fire tower is very cool the hike itself is alright.

Brutal incline to the left. This is a challenging short hike.

This short steep trail leads to a fire tower with an incredible view. It is well worth any trouble it takes to get there. Check out my full write up which includes things to look out for.

It is a moderate to hard trail. Most of the trail is on a incline and on rocks. I usually hike with a walking stick and good things when I did this one I brought mine. But if you do forget yours or do not usually use one, I recommend grabbing one at the mouth of the trail.

A fantastic hike surround by 2 lakes. . The fire tower seems to be larger than the 'typical fire tower' Saw a water moccasin during the trek up. A great hike with a great view. Parking is easy. trail was well kept

I hiked Stissing Mountain last weekend. It was late in the day. The two lakes nearby are beautiful: Stissing and Thompson Lake. You can hike around them too which I may try another time. Parking is small and I saw smashed window glass so it may not be that safe.

The hike is short but relatively and constantly steep. The forest is deep and you get a nice internal view beneath the canopy. The trail was spotless and there was no one else on it at the time.

There is no outward view of the surrounding area until you get to the summit. There is a very tall fire tower on the summit. The 360 degree view from the top is sensational.

Bring mosquito repellent. I went down the way I came because it was late and although the trail is clear in daylight it was getting late, there are only trail blazes at forks in the trail. That being said, the trail is simple and it is doubtful you could get lost.

Had this mountain on my list for over a year now. Finally glad to be able to do it on such a nice day! Views of this taller than average tower were something else! Steep trail, but worth it at the top!