Saint Regis Mountain Trail

Saint Regis Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Clara, NY that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A relatively easy hike that is fairly level for the first 2 miles and then slowly begins to climb. It maintains a moderate grade until the last .3 where some steep sections are encountered but nothing too difficult and no challenging scrambles. Demanding in the springtime from the melting snow, mud and leftover snow - very rocky, lots of mud and washed out areas of the trail. The summit is wide open and the views are great.

Great hike with amazing views. The first 2 miles are just like walk in the woods. The last mile is where the ascend starts with some rocks scrambles and some rocks have been placed as stairs to make the climb easier. Overall I would rate this as an easy hike. The views are amazing, the summit is 360 with a firetower which can be climbed and accessed. GPS tracking 7.1 miles round trip.

Great for trail running.

Hiked this two days ago with my 3 year old son. The first two miles were smooth sailing, however the final ascent was a bit tricky, especially with a three year old.
Beautiful hike! The views from the summit were fantastic!

One of my favorite hikes with a tough scramble for the last .5 miles. The view from the tower is worth every step. GPS had 6.8 miles RT. A great time hanging out at the summit on the ledges. Friends of St Regis does a great job with this place !

Starts out like any hike and soon I was wondering if I was simply walking a trail. Well that quickly changed a couple miles in. The incline, rocks and water from the nights rain made it pretty strenuous the rest the way up.

After a bit of a difficult final ascent, you reach the summit. Fantastic views.

The best surprise was that the fire tower has been recently restored making for even better views.

This was one of my first hikes for the SaranacLake 6ers and I found it was a good mountain for beginners. It has a very pleasant trailhead and hike through a mixed conifer/hardwood forest with some undulating hills. At mile 2.5 the climb begins to get steep, however the DEC has done a nice job of building rock stairs that really assist in the ascent. The views from the top are amazing -- you get a great northern view of Whiteface/Esther, the Saranac lower, middle, and upper lakes and southern views of Ampersand and the High peaks as well as the Raquette and Regis Canoe Lake areas. Overall a beautiful climb and wonderful experience. Magnificent views for a summer hike.

This was a nice hike! I agree with everyone that it seems like a piece of cake until about the last 1/2mile up, then is was a bit more challenging but definitely do-able. I got a little tired on the way down when it was raining and had to pay more close attention to the trail. I just completed this today 7/13/16. The flies were a bit much for me to take, so I put my hat and sunglasses on and my earbuds in so I couldn't hear them buzzing around me. I wanted to go iPod free to be closer with nature, but it didn't happen till the summit. There wasn't to many people on the trail. I saw maybe 5 or 6 other groups the whole time. I started around 11am and got back to my car around 3pm with a nice break and snack up at the top.

Very easy beginning but trust the other reviews about the end being steep. Took my time and the view was worth it!

This trail isn't to strenuous to do. The deer flies were out in numbers and flying around me while I was hiking. There is a small rock scramble as you approach the summit, but it's not that bad. The steps and landings have been replaced with new wood, but there's still 2 signs saying that it's closed to the public but it isn't blocked off. I respected the signage and didn't climb the tower. The views from the summit were nice looking at Tupper Lake. The trail was getting busy as I was descending.

beautiful!

One of my favorite Hikes/trail runs. The first 2 miles or so is somewhat easy. Then you have maybe a half mile of steep stuff, but not terrible. A nice hike, not too strenuous at all. It is a bald/exposed summit. In winter, very top can be quite icy. As od 11/30/15 the fire tower is still inaccessible. Lots of people hike this. I have camped at the top numerous times (tucked away on the side). Nice views at top, watching Tupper Lake light up at night 25 miles southwest is fun.

Completed - great trail in good shape

Very easy going for the first 5 km, then the last km is a bit of a climb but not challenging in any way. Beautiful fall day with great views on the summit. Lots of cars in the parking lots and a couple dozen others seen on the summit or on the trail.

Well worth it for the view.

Nice hike. Great views. One of the Saranac 6er's and the Fire Tower challenge.