Spruce & Shackham Ponds Trail

Spruce & Shackham Ponds Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fabius, NY that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trails were great but not marked well. Suggest starting at parking area and hiking up hill across from parking lot where there is a small wooden bridge across ditch. Trail goes uphill. Follow it to first gravel road. Go right and take first left gravel road which takes you to pond. Hike blue trail that is on left side of pond for a short distance as you circle pond. Keep right on trail fork where trail then becomes orange trail again. It has beautiful creek views and brings you right back to parking area for a total hike of just over six miles

This trail system is awesome! Its part of the NCT which goes from Maine all the way to North Dakota. Theres 14 mile loops with lean-to's along the way. The trail has ponds and waterfalls along the way and even a nice lookout spot thats used for hang gliding that over looks labrador hollow pond. The trail also brings you to the top of tinker falls. I would consider this a moderate trail to hike. You can find detailed maps at fingerlakestrails.org

This was a decent hike for me to get back into hiking with after a bit of a hiatus. The first mile or so had me wondering if it was a hike at all though. I almost got discouraged because it started out as a gravel road. Personally I don't consider it a hike if I could do it in my Ford. But after a while it redeemed itself. Wasn't too strenuous and the views of the ponds were nice. It was raining a bit but nothing too hard and I think it was a good thing because there were probably fewer people out because of it.

So we parked at the first parking spot by the entrance to the orange trail. We hiked all the way through the trail until we got to a road. We decided to right(back towards the car) and walk the road. We saw a lake to our left at the fork in the road and decided to walk around the lake. The trail was still the orange trail, but there was a blue trail that led up the mountain. We took the orange trail, which led us back to the car. The hike was okay, not what I'm used to. I like having a destination, beginning and end, like the peak of a mountain or a loop trail. I felt like the trail went in and on. Only greenery with a lake, no cool views or obstacles. I'm an avid hiker and this hike pretty much didn't live up to my expectations. It's alright for someone who likes to "walk" around the woods.

Bring bug spray...

The blue trail ranged from easy to hard! Getting to the top (the views) was worth the climb. It took some investigating to find the trail head.

Terrific hike/trail run

Very clear and well marked trail. No spectacular views, but it's a nice walk through the woods. If you're lucky you'll spot some deer.

The trailhead is hard to find (it's off the side of the road, a bit of a walk from the parking area). If you end up on a trail with signs for a snowmobile path, you haven't gone far enough down the road.

The pond is lovely and the hike winds through a tall forest with plenty of shade; perfect for a summer day.