Spruce Mountain Firetower

Spruce Mountain Firetower is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Porter Corners, NY and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Small hike to the firetower summit The 73 foot fire tower on the 2009 foot summit of Spruce Mountain was built in 1928 and manned until 1988. The summit is accessible by a gated service road and a 1.2 mile hiking trail. The trail has downfall and the remains of past logging operations. This area was heavily logged in the past. The trail crosses an old concrete culvert over a stream then immediately climbs. The total elevation gain 1000 feet over this 1.2 mile hike. The trail can be tough to follow at times with many old logging roads crossing the trail. The trail is marked sometimes with red DEC discs. Tough to follow in winter - sled trail runs west of DEC trail to summit, slightly longer. The trail crosses land used by the Blue Jay Hunting Club on a lease from International Paper, so hiking is not recommended during hunting season (late September through early December)

Easy hike but was surprised to learn that it is in fact not open during hunting season. Easy firetower checkmark.

My kids and I hiked this trail together. It was a constant incline, but not a terrible one. We had a nice time. Going up the fire tower was fun and our first one. the view was extraordinary.

Awesome autumn views from the tower. The trail is a little under marked on the way up, in my opinion. Good for beginners, moderate, trail gets pretty narrow in spots. No water so you can do sneakers. View from tower is pretty spectacular.

Moderate hike with a few steep spots. This is a new trail so it has some narrow spots with a lot of roots. To get decent views from the top you have to go up the firetower.

we really enjoyed this area, great hike moderate just because it's mostly uphill, but absolutely beautiful wooded area, and fire tower at top was really neat to lookout from. All in all we had a great time would do again for sure.

Easy to moderate hike. It rained last night, so some spots were slippery. The only view is from the fire tower but it is a lovely view. Trail is very easy to follow and large parking area at trail head. Only took about an hour and a half round trip.

Quick and easy firetower hike. Trail was empty on a tues in sept, although when I finished, people were coming for a late afternoon hike. The only views are in the firetower.

Disappointing summit since you can't see anything unless you climb the tower nice enough hike though and trailhead was easy to find

went with my 2 sons ages 4 and 2 so I'd say it was easy enough even for them . view from the top of the firetower was fantastic and worth it . took about 3 hrs round trip .

Easy hike, can't see anything at the top unless you climb the tower.

Walked with 2 kids 6 and 4. Was a nice hike not too hard.

Fun hike

Great little mountain hike with an amazing fire tower view minutes from Saratoga Springs!

The weather was perfect. The trail was clear & marked well. The terrain had degrees of difficulty which helped get your heart rate up & then would level off. There were people of all ages from very young to those young at heart. We also met extended four legged family members. The view from the tower is beautiful and worth the climb. Perfect for anyone who wants an easy to moderate hike. We would definitely recommend it.

nice trail for families. steep in some sections, but a nice hike with a great view from the tower as a reward!

I am beginner level as I have only been trail hiking for the past two months. Most of my time has been spent on Spier Falls. I am a 50 year old non-smoker. My physical fitness is average but my cardio is above average. Not to promote only to inform I carry a Camelbak Rim Runner 22 pack, I use trekking poles and currently wear Oboz Scapegoat hiking shoes. Now to the trail.

I thoroughly enjoyed this hike. The trail is well marked, wide, and uses the natural benches well to take some of the bite out of the assent. It took me 40 minutes to climb. I prefer to keep moving and work up a lather. My stops were brief only to slow my breathing. As I stated there is a good mix of switchbacks that make the climb manageable.

I rate climbs by the satisfaction gained for the effort expended. The effort expended was moderate and the reward was amazing. When you get to the tower don't hesitate to climb it. As expected the view from a fire tower is amazing.

During my hike there was a good news story. On my way down I passed two people looking for a dog that got lost the day before. When I returned to the parking area the dog was there and was reunited with its owner.

I was the first to arrive at 7:30 am. When I left there were approximately 10 people on the trail. The trail can easily accommodated more.

Hiked this trail yesterday with six other ladies all over 70 years old. I'm glad we all had hiking poles! It was a steady incline,...but it surely seemed like it was 3 miles up instead of 1.3 miles. The weather was perfect...we all did break a sweat but it was cool on the summit and two of us climbed to the top of the tower where the view was beautiful. Wish there was a map up there delineating what bodies of water and mountains we were looking at. Our hiking group (The J.U.G.S) Just Us Girls, were exhausted, sore but proud that we finished the hike and didn't give up.

Great hike on a cool summer day! Haven't hiked for a couple of months and so I decided to check this firetower trail out with some friends. You feel the ascent - 1000 feet - but aside from that, it was a relatively easy hike. The trail is well shaded until the end and with no one else on the trail, it's easy to go into a Zen sort of mode. The firetower is high and not for the faint of heart but the views are incredible!