Snowy Mountain Trail

Snowy Mountain Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Indian Lake, NY that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Definitely challenging and so worth it!

Amazing Hike ! Great view from the fire tower.

amazing hike ! the beginning and middle were easy cross over some streams and bridges. the end of the hike you are rock climbing up the side of the Mt. it's not for little kids . my dog did great had to push her up few spots. the views are amazing and worth it. but to say the top is easy is off its grading roots and trees. it's slippery too so sneakers will not cut it. enjoy !

This is a 4 mile one-way trail with good maintenance and clear markers. The first 3/4 trail is moderate, followed by a steep rocky boulders to the summit.
Snowy Mt. is one of the ADK fire tower challenge. The peak offers you an overlook of Indian Lake.
Try to hike Snowy Mt. in both Fall and Winter, which will provide you contrast different view and experience. In winter, the microspikes are required, which carries you to the summit because of the icy boulders in the last half mile to the summit.

This was a great hike! The top was steep but nothing technical. The 1st 2/3 of hike was mild to moderate grade. Trail was well marked except at very top with all of the extraneous paths to vistas. The views over Indian lake to the east as well as to the west were spectacular! Only 2 other groups on the trail midweek.

I was a little reluctant to try this hike since the info said for very experienced hikers. I don't know what experienced is but I am not. I have done two other fire towers in the past month ( Hadley and Spruce Mountain). Other than that I have done hikes local to Saratoga Springs.

I am 51, don't smoke and consider my cardio to be good. I have no pulmonary issues. I reached the tower in 2.5 hours. Total time on the mountain was 5 hours with 30 - 45 minutes on top. The nice thing about this hike is the bottom half is relatively flat. That gives you a warmup and let's your legs recover from the steep descent. I like the climb more than the descent and my legs were weary once I got through the steepest part. By the time I returned to the car they had recovered.

FYI there is an out house just off the parking lot. I found it useful.

Well worth the effort. Quite a bit of work but a fantastic view!

The hike up was great! Great 360 view from the fire tower. The way down was very muddy and slippery!

If you have never done a high peak before this is a nice challenge. I found the trail to be about 4 miles long not 3.4. The first 3/4 of the hike is fairly easy. Several plank walkways and bridges and creek is easy to cross. You cross it about 5 times. The last 1/4 of the hike is fairly steep. You will need to use your hands to make it through. Once at the summit the initial view is awesome. You will see Indian Lake and the mountains behind it. Go a little further and you will get to the fire tower. 360 degree spectacular views. Makes the hike worthwhile.

My son and I hiked up in 2 hr and 5 min and came back down in 1 hr 50 min. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. We hiked it on a Wednesday and started at 9 am and were the first on the trail. Only passed a few people on the way back down. Remember to look up a few times on the way back down. Several nice views of Indian Lake and the mountains.

FYI-The parking area is just a small pull over area across the street from the trailhead. It only holds maybe 12-15 cars.

Well worth it! For a Mt that rivals a few of the High Peaks in height, this was much easier than any high peak I've done. The gradual incline on the way up was easy and the last 1/4 you actually have to use your hands and gives you a nice taste of a high peak but much, much easier. Tough to beat the view. A lil tip, hike early morning. If your lucky you'll be walking on top of the clouds.

The toughest part of this hike was the return trip. It took us a lot longer to get down than up, so make sure you spend some time on top. The views are spectacular and totally worth the work required to see them.

Great hike! The last mile or so can be extremely difficult in the winter time.

This wasn't quite as hard as I expected. Most reviews say the climb is difficult at end with elevation and incline. I would rate this as moderate if you are in good shape and hike often. The views are spectacular, from summit and fire tower. We had lunch at an overlook spot in back of mountain. They bugs were bad but if you go early they were no problem.

I have never hiked a more buggy mountain in my life. If bugs like you, make sure you bring an entire can of bug spray. Round trip it only took about 3 1/2 hours because I RAN down the mountain because I couldn't stand the bugs anymore.

I have done a lot of hikes, and this one fits in my difficult list of mountains I have hiked. The last mile or so is tough, so bring lots of water and be ready for a tough hike. Round trip it was about 5-6 hours. The views from the summit and fire-tower are worth the hike though!

Was great hike. Did not hit the summit was a really great hike. Bring lots of water and pace yourself it is on the harder side. Would give 5 stars but feel they should have distance markings, trail is well maintained.