Shindagin Hollow State Forest Trails

Shindagin Hollow State Forest Trails is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brooktondale, NY and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Shindagin Hollow State Forest (Tompkins #3) covers 5,266 acres of land in the towns of Caroline in southern Tompkins County and Candor in northern Tioga County. It is one of two forests covered by the Rapid Waters Unit Management Plan. Its large size and good access from public roads make this a great forest to enjoy activities such as mountain biking, hunting, hiking, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, bird watching, nature viewing, picnicking and camping.

I'd rate this trail Easy to Moderate compared to Breakneck Ridge (Hard) and Mount Hadley (Moderate). The trail is not too steep, and with an even surface throughout. There's many variations that could upgrade it's difficulty to Medium-Hard because of very steep sections but definitely there's no scrambling involved. However, the scenery is beautiful, and I encountered lots of wild life such as deer. Trails are not well marked in several sections so I'd recommend bringing a map or a compass just in case. I'd definitely do it again because of the many variations that it offers and because of it's low traffic (I didn't encounter anyone on my Saturday morning hike)

I loved this place. Great scenery and enough elevation difference to consider it a real hike. I didn't do the loop trail when I was there. Did an out and back one but I found a nice area for pitching a tent a little ways in where there was also a lean to. Altogether I got in about a 7.5 mile hike and I'm looking forward to going back to do the rest.

Well worth the trip. The trails are well maintained and full of character. Fun fall ride today, perfect temp for peddling around here.

I recommend entering the park through Prospect Valley Road, especially if you have a vehicle that's low to the ground.

Climbed today 3/6/14 great hike. Little icy still but great to get out there!!

A cool fall day but a nice hike in the woods!

A terrific jaunt to the lean-to no matter the direction you start from. Beautiful ramp in Spring. New stone work is a treasure to see, start from Bald Hill Road. Not recommended for hiking during hunting season, all other time a pleasure.

Completed again on 4/6/2013 on a beautiful spring day! A very nice trail not always well marked and at the time still icy...
Will do it again though.

First of all it is marked WRONG on this website. Other then that this is one of the best trails I have every been on. I would give it 5 stars but the trails need to be marked out better. I even had a map on my phone and still got a little lost. Who ever works this trail system does a very good job.

This is an excellent trail. Slightly challenging but very enjoyable